Stretching

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by waya, Feb 21, 2002.

1. waya

waya Valued Member

What different types of stretching does everyone do? This issue has alot of controversy in various schools and arts and I would like to hear more on it. Personally I use rope stretches in a kicking position standing as well as a machine and free stretching with a partner. Is it over rated to stretch to a significant degree of flexibility or really worth the time it takes?

Rob

2. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

That sounds like a lot of the ones that we do. We also do basic sports stretches such as toe touches and sit down leg stretches. I dont so much agree about it being a waste of time, cause i have a student who work on her flexibility all the time and still keep her power and speed in her kicks, and cause of that pulls more tricks out of her back when sparring.

3. waya

waya Valued Member

I also feel it is worth the time. I broke my right knee a few years ago and was off it for a while. Since then I have had to do alot of stretching to regain any power and speed in kicks above the knee since even waist kicks were hard for a while. Now I spend about 2 hours a day on stretching exercises even if I am not training that day. As long as I don't overdo it, it seems to help my knee alot.

4. Chazz

I know what you mean, I have blown out my right knee twice now and its hard to get back into the swing of things. It takes a lot of time and energy to just get back to where you were before you got hurt. So more power to ya!

Take care of the Knee
    Chazz

5. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Oh dear - what a bunch of cripples we are! I damaged my knee just over a year ago now - not at MA either. I had to spend 9 months out getting it fixed. I was given a very strict physio and have kept to it since - I had pulled a muscle at the side of the knee and had to work back gently due to muscle wastage. So stretching is pretty important for me at the moment.

We don't have stretching equipment per se but we do about 20 mins at the beginning and about 10 at the end. I have been to a couple of dojos and not everyone stretches at the end of the evening - do you both stretch at the end?

Melanie

6. waya

waya Valued Member

I bought a stretching machine that I keep in my home, as well as the rope system I use. We do partner stretching before and after our classes also. That generally makes my daily stretching about 2.5 hrs combined.
    I'm not sure that full splits are necessary for everyone but I do think that a good amount of stretching all the leg and arm muscles is to prevent strains and tears.

Rob

7. Chazz

I agree,
    In class we start the first 25 min. of it doing regular stretched. Rotating the head and neck as well as the arms, and working our way to the feet. (If interested, sometime i'll post our set that we do!) the we do still leg front kick and crescant kicks to stretch out hips out.

Oh Mel, we do not stretch after class, but i think thats a good idea. What kind do you do after class and i might start doing them in my classes?

Other stretches, i do use to rope method as well and the machine. i also like to do tention kicks. It helps stretch the muscles of the leg.

-Chazz

8. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

Hey Chazz,

Why not e=mail me the stretching routine you do and I will add it to the section on stretching in our tutorials.

Just right it up and add some diagrams or photos send it to us and we will do the rest.

Cooler.

9. Chazz

Cooler,

Killer, i'll do it tonight. There are quite a few.

-Chazz

10. Melanie

Hiya

Chazz we do some long stretching like deep stances, splits, that sort of thing. There is also moves similar to how you may stretch when you wake up in the morning, except longer and stronger we do between 5-10 mins of this and I always feel the benefit of it. Newer students won't gripe about being stiff the next day if they are warmed down properly so may not find the regime as punishing had they not warmed down, and be tempted to come back for the next lesson!

Its just removing the lactic acid build up in the muscles, hence no more stiffness. ;)

Melanie

11. waya

waya Valued Member

Melanie,
    Not alot of people think of the stretching afterwards to bring the muscles back down from the workout. You're lucky to be somewhere that does LOL. We do about the same where I train at and for the same reasons..... It's no fun trying to train again the next day when your legs are arguing lol.

Rob

12. Chazz

Melanie
    Sounds good to me. I think i may start to do that im my classes. most of the time we spar at the end of the class, and after each person spars they walk around to get cooled off, but i might try to try that Wed. in my next class

take care ;)

13. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

No two people will enjoy the same stretching program. If I can make one reccomendation it would be that you thouroghly research the subject before you start stretching seriously. If you are an instructor you should also research, and make sure you know what you are doing to people in group stretches. You may well have good flexibility, but if you are having joint or muscle problems, then this suggests a problem with your training program. Most people have a dominant leg, and will find a turning kick ( mawashigeri ) easier on one leg. If we keep training asymetry we may well be training bad body posture, which leads to problems in later life.

Check out the site on stretching, in the links section of this site!

Reccomend the book/video 'Stretching Scientifically' by thomas Kurz also.

P.S. Cod Liver Oil is cheap and effective, and your joints will thank you!

14. Chazz

Good point. But the streches we do are needed to help with everyday class. If a student has a problem they tell us and we move around their need. Nothing we do is too hard. you can either do them hard or take it easy and get a light stretch.
    Tiger Balm also helps sore muscles

-Chazz

15. Andy Murray

A stretching program is needed not only in class, but in life. You only get at best a pair of everything, two knees, two elbows etc. One spine. Damage these and you are in trouble. If you push as hard as you can when training then you have to be careful of not going too hard. Even if your Instructor is a world champion I would still reccomend that you verify their stretching methods are safe for you. I have witnessed poor methodology, from many people, who often have adopted the stretching program of their own Instructors.

If you talk to a physio or a Chiropractor in particular, or describe your stretches to them, you may get a surprise.

Be safe!

As the Boxer said to the Kick Boxer; 'I may not be able to get my foot to your head, but I can get your head to my foot!'

16. Melanie

As you know, Shotokan is renown for the damage it can create to knees, had there been a weakness there in the first place. When the injury occured to my knee, I was told that it was very unlikely that I would ever get back to MA. (Which naturally baited me all the more and I knew I would be coming back to MA come hell or high water!). After several months of indirect treatment, I was finally put through to a reasonably physiotherapist. She was remarkable! She told me where the pain was and how it felt. Ever since meeting that woman, I felt in safe hands and she was the one that gave me the appropriate stretching techniques to enable me to come back to what I love.

When you all started in this lark known as MA, did any of you get asked of any existing conditions? My Sensei asked from day one fortunately.

Melanie

17. Melanie

Helpful Web Site?

Just come accross this site - thought you might find it of interest:

Stretching and Flexibility - Everything you never wanted to know

http://www.enteract.com/~bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/stretching_toc.html

Melanie

18. waya

waya Valued Member

I have been asked at every school I have been in.... Sometimes more for liability reasons but the better ones ask so they know how I need to work on things.

19. Andy Murray

Going back to Waya's original question.

I am currently getting best results from pnf stretches. I have found little value in passive/static stretches. The advantage of pnf and isometric stretches is that you have a good range of flexibility without a warmup. If you find that you need to warm up before you can kick high, then I suggest you have a problem with your stretching program. As I said before, check out the Links on this site!

20. waya

waya Valued Member

Andy I use pnf and Isometric alot also. They seem to give me the best results.
    I don't have trouble with cold high kicks. I am 5'8 and can generally kick at my head height at least without stretching.