stretching

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by totalkayos, Apr 18, 2003.

1. totalkayos

totalkayos Valued Member

hi, i'm just curious if anyone in here has read the books super joints, relax into stretch, or beyond stretching, all by a russian guy pavel something or another. i was thinking about ordering one to inprove my range of motion. just seeing if anyone has any feedback on these books. thanks.

2. hybrid_TKD

hybrid_TKD New Member

I have heard of the name pavel but you may want to check out the following web site too.

http://www.stadion.com/

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I can only offer my comments on Kurz's book that you'll find in the link hybrid_TKD provided and I also recommend "Sport Stretch" by Micheal J Alter .... both are very good!

Thanks to Kurz's book I've improved my flexibilty 100%.

4. totalkayos

totalkayos Valued Member

thanks guys. i ordered one of his books called super joints. i'll give it a read and post what i think in a few weeks maybe more.

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Ok great do that.... I am curious to see how you do.

I used to subscribe to Pavel T.'s email newsletter (ezines) but couldn't keep up with the reading them.

6. totalkayos

totalkayos Valued Member

kickchick,
    so to increase speed and reaction time i train using my hand as a traget? like they do in kung fu flicks?

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Argh ... (yes my prior post is missing due to database problems of recent days)
    But fortunately I do save my posts because these type of things happened to me in the past on other forums.
    Let me repeat my post.....

Use your hand as a target when doing your dynamic stretches. I do this all the time and it does work! Centers in the brain that regulate coordination and fast movements "know" about the hand. They know it is there and that it can stop the kick so the leg does not have to be slowed down gradually to prevent overstretching.

To begin your dynamic stretching start slowly, gradually raise legs higher. Start increasing speed of kicks by using this hand-kicking drill.
    This will develop your ability to move your limbs with max speed with a full range of motion in your joints (height in those kicks!). Use this drill as a warm-up only because there is a limited amount of kicks that you can practice this way ....front, back, side.
    In my TKD class we also do crescent kicks this "way" keeping opposite outstretched palm held out for instep to strike.

What could be better than developing more speed and height in your kicks. Yes, I know it is not necessary to kick high .... but to have more range of motion is an added benefit to height in those kicks.

So in answer to your question ... yes, try it!
    :)

8. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hey ME got fullllllllllll article on this :p
    lemme get one for yea

-TkdWarrior-

9. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... thanks TKD guy!
    .... seems totalkayos post before mine (in answer to his question) is also missing.

He was asking, although he thought it had nothing to do with stretching, how he could achieve speed and explosiveness in his kicks. And since we brought up Kurz earlier I posted his dynamic stretching routine and how he explains in his book that the nervous system uses antagonistic muscles to decrease speed and range ofmotion in an attempt to prevent injury.
    One way to decrease this effect is to increase the strength of the antagonists and stabilisers. If your training program is too focused on training the prime movers, you may develop a strength imbalance, which may in turn increase the body's protective reaction thus slowing down your ability to kick fast.

10. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

it's TkdWarrior Ma`am not TKD Guy :p

on more serious note:
    i havn't read Kurz's material but the site(stadion) is cool one... and most of my techniques are based on dynamic stretching which i learnt while studying Muai Thai n later TKD.
    -TkdWarrior-

11. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

how he explains in his book that the nervous system uses antagonistic muscles to decrease speed and range ofmotion in an attempt to prevent injury.
    One way to decrease this effect is to increase the strength of the antagonists and stabilisers. If your training program is too focused on training the prime movers<<<<<<<<<<

ok now how about explaining it in English???:D
    -TkdWarrior-

12. totalkayos

totalkayos Valued Member

damn, that is so much excellent information. this summer i am definately going to work on that as soon as my exam week is over. my only question is, should you do the slow kicking exercises, stretches, and other above mentioned excercises everyday or every other day. i know with weight training it should be done every other day to allow for muscle healing. does the same apply to the kicking drills? and MA trining in general?

13. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I know that.... I was just referring to your quote from your post
    "Did somebody said "kicks"???
    I guess u seriously need lessons from TKD Guy ;-)" (i was just assuming you were that guy!)

As far as explaining in English ... there is a prime mover muscle group and an antagonist muscle group. When the prime mover muscle group contracts or shortens, the antagonist muscle group lengthens. So naturally if one group is more "flexible" than the other what results is an increase in the resistance to the prime mover movement... which decreases the speed of the movement.
    Does that kind of explain it??:confused:

14. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

oh i m that guy, well that post is actually my response to some Kungfu guy(they basically diss TKD) so i was picking them ;)

oh thnx for explaining.
    now on to next part...
    i hav no idea which are primer muscle of antognist muscles?
    on wat kind of movement they lengthens or shortens?
    sorry I never was a physicsts or chemist or biologist watever those damn ppl r called :p
    I m more of a computer guy, so don't mind explaining things in detail, i can read 100's of pages ;)
    -TkdWarrior-

15. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hey KC how to subscribe Pavel T's newsletter...
    -TkdWarrior-

16. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

17. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hey thnx KC
    huh i hav seen dragondoor site, it's good one too....
    thnx again
    -TkdWarrior-

18. Labatt

Labatt New Member

I like to individualize stretching for maximum gains. What are your strengths? Or weaknesse's?

I also do dynamic(fast action) strectches and slow holds.
    I put a tremendous emphasis on splits and over hands, the best stretches you can do in my opinion

19. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Can you help me KickChick - i understand how this dynamic stretch(T.Kurz) works, and have found benefits for front kicking but i am a little unsure of how to perform this technique for side kicks and back kicks; can you give a detailed breakdown of of how to perform these OR point me in the right direction i.e - a link with these details on.

CHEERS VERY MUCH

morphus

20. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

[​IMG]

Start low and "lift" rather than "throw" your kicks to front, back and side ... gradually raise the legs higher, and then increase the kicking speed .....
    10-12 reps a set, do as many sets as it take to reach your full range of motion in each direction(usually 2 sets are enough)..... performing twice a day.