Stretching the tendons

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Wildlings, May 17, 2013.

1. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

A quick question. When I stretch, I feel the tendon behind the knee stretching too BUT unlike muscles, the tension in the tendons doesn't dissipate after some seconds/minutes. It's incredibly annoying when you feel no tension in the muscles but only in the tendons and you can't stretch any further because of this. :bang: I am very cautios with my tendons because I tend to injure them quite often, so I avoid stretching further as soon as they begin to feel a bit uncomfortable :/ but this is really slowing down my progress in flexibility. What do you think I should do?

2. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Tendons aren't meant to be stretched. I am by no means an expert on flexibility so take this at face value. I think that stretching in the traditional sense is overrated. Imho you'd do well to focus more on leg strengthening exercises. Vanzant has a great routine for flexibility. You can also do squats and dead lifts to help with your flexibility. Your legs will get stronger and you'll have greater mobility without putting much stress on your tendons.

3. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Yep, the problem is that I have this problem with any kind of stretching, static, dynamic and isometric .-.
    Anyway I think this may be because of weak knees, I'm going to start Hindu squats and see if that fixes the problem

4. aspenboy

aspenboy New Member

I used to have similar problem when I had quite a log break from sport activity of any kind. After about a year of doing nothing I went to some hatha yoga classes and I experienced quite strong tension under my knees. I'm not an expert but in my case strength exercises helped a lot - I tried to focus more on the strength and stability and less on the stretching itself. In some yoga positions I tried to isometric-like contractions, this also helped.