Stretching & stretch marks

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by koolaid, Apr 12, 2007.

1. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

Im currently training in 3 different arts.

Karate kenpo, tae kwon do and wushu
    (the last two put a huge emphasis on stretching)

Ive noticed im starting to get slightly purple marks on the inside of my legs.
    My weight hasnt changed, i havent put on muscle on my legs.

Is it common to get stretch marks on your skin if you stretching your legs often?

2. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

Regularly stretch the skin = Stretch marks.

So yes, it's not unusual although it doesnt sound like your skin is naturally very supple, unless you're just stretching very hard.

3. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

Yea im stretching quite alot.

Im using some cream on the marks and the area now which is suppose to prevent stretch marks and decrease the appearance of existing marks.

4. Drusilla

Drusilla Valued Member

If this cream is effective on reducing the appearance of existing stretch marks could you let me know what it is as I've still got loads from when I had my son. They've faded to white but they're still very obvious. :rolleyes:

5. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

i use cocoa butter .. that seems to be working :D

oh and Drusilla post you pic on MAP babes thread :love:

6. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Do you even get stretch marks from stretching? I don't think you do. Have you suddenly gotten alot taller recently?

7. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

You can do. Obviously if you're stretching at parts of the body where the skin gets taught then regular practice of this will start to stretch the skin, causing stretch marks.

8. Fishbone.

Fishbone. Banned Banned

I've had a fair bit of trouble with stretch marks too. When I started going to the gym and stacked on some muscle, I got them everywhere on my legs.

I went from around 45KG-71KG. In around a year and a half. 2-4 times a week, 1.5-2 hours each session.

Near the buttocks and on the tops of my thighs, mainly on the sides going up and down. The blotches were red at first, then they turned dark purple.

I just finished using Bio-oil, and I can say first hand i've noticed a little difference. There's no way to eliminate them 100%, but fading is good.

Cheers

Matt--