Stretching routine?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Axelator, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

I've read all the faq on stretching and I've been reading this site both are great rescources on stretching.

However I was wondering if anyone can tell me a good static-passive stretching routine I can do every other day that takes about 30 mins
    My goals are to have good flexibility for kicks and for groundwork (mainly requiring good hip mobility and flexible legs). Also if someone could tell me a quick dynamic stretching routine for someone who has the same aims as above and takes about 10-15 minutes that I can do daily it owuld be much appreciated.

My problem is there are so many stretches on the site above I don't know which ones are staples and are needed for my goals.

Thanks for any replies.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You need just one stretch per muscle group to increase flexibility. To improve static-passive flexibility you can do relaxed stretches, or isometric stretches, or both. In relaxed stretches you want to assume a position that will let you completely relax - for this purpose, front splits and toes-forward side splits [in which the weight of your body is pressing down on the target muscle] are not ideal. For the quadriceps I would suggest this stretch:

[​IMG]

And for the hamstrings, this one:

[​IMG]

And for the adductors, this sequence (the toes-up side split stretch):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NskaHE42qm4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NskaHE42qm4[/ame]

In isometric stretches you want to place your weight on the stretched muscles. For the quadriceps and hamstrings, the front split will suffice:

[​IMG]

For the adductors, the toes-forward side split:

[​IMG]

For dynamic stretches you just need leg raises in all directions, 12 repetitions per set for as many sets as necessary to reach your maximum height for that stage of training.

The stretching guide on this forum, and the guide provided by trickstutorials.com, will give you advice on how to perform relaxed and isometric stretches. But to help you work out when to do them, I need to know a bit more about your current training load. Please can you post details on when you have classes and other workouts?

3. Axelator

I normallly try and do static passive stretches on strength training days after class so I'm still warm.

Mon
    Strength training
    Kickboxing
    Stretching

Tues
    Plyometrics
    Judo
    HIIT

Wed
    Strength Training
    Boxing
    Stretching

Thurs
    aerobic run
    Plyometrics
    Judo

Fri
    Strength training
    MMA
    Stretching

Sat
    MMA
    Plyometrics
    HIIT

Thanks for all the info so far. Am I right in thinking I should be doing about 3 sets od each stretch?

4. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

Have a word with Dean Winchester, he sent me a good site on martial arts stretching, i cant find it but i think he has it for himself.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You can do relaxed (static-passive) stretches any time of day without a warm-up, so you don't necessarily need to wait until you are warm at the end of class to do them (although being warm sometimes helps).

I would do stretching in your routine as follows:

Mon
    Strength training
    Dynamic stretching
    Kickboxing
    Isometric stretching
    Relaxed stretching

Tues
    Dynamic stretching
    Plyometrics
    Judo
    HIIT
    Relaxed stretching

Wed
    Dynamic stretching
    Strength Training
    Boxing
    Stretching
    Isometric stretching
    Relaxed stretching

Thurs
    Dynamic stretching
    aerobic run
    Plyometrics
    Judo
    Relaxed stretching

Fri
    Dynamic stretching
    Strength training
    MMA
    Isometric stretching
    Relaxed stretching

Sat
    Dynamic stretching
    MMA
    Plyometrics
    HIIT
    Relaxed stretching

Bear in mind that isometric stretches are strength exercises and should be treated as such; don't do them when you are sore from a previous workout. If you hit a plateau, tense harder, or longer, or both.

For isometric stretches, try the following routine: stretch as far as comfort allows, then tense the stretched muscles for 5-7 seconds. Relax and immediately increase the stretch. Tense again, relax, increase, etc. Repeat this cycle until you can't increase the stretch any further. Hold a final tension for 30 seconds at the end of the set. Rest several minutes between sets, and do 3 sets. You can up this to 5 sets if you hit a plateau.

For relaxed stretches, one or two sets per stretch will suffice.

I hope this information is useful. Post back if you have any more questions :cool:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  6. Axelator

Thanks alot. that's really useful.

I've got some quick questions on the dynamic stretches.

-Is it ok to hold onto something for balance when doign them?

-Should the leg being moved always be straight on the back raises?

-Is it good to lean the upper body away from the moving leg when doing the side and back raises so it acts sort of as a counter weight to the leg?

Thanks.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

- Yes.

- It's ok to bend the leg in raises to the back.

- Yes.

:cool:

8. Axelator

Thanks alot. I guess I better get stretching.

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

No problems :cool:

10. KonGato

KonGato Valued Member

Excuse me for borrowing this thread, but I only have on question:

- So static stretching can be done any time of the day and 1-2 sets should suffice, check. But do the results come quicker if one does static stretching maybe 2-3 times a day; morning, afternoon, late evening (60 seconds hold) ?

I do this stretch for the hamstrings: [​IMG]

I think it was Pavel or Superfoot that said it is bad to do RELAXED stretching when standing up.

However, I do STATIC stretching. Does 1 time every day give more or less the same results as if one was doing the stretches 2-3 times every day?
    I mean, it feels kind of weak to just stretch my hamstrings only 5 min in a whole day. Although I don't doubt it can be effective.

But does the results come quicker if doing STATIC stretching (the stretch in the picture) more times every day?

(I know I repeated the same question 2-3 times :)

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

There is no evidence to support doing relaxed stretches more than once per day offers any additional benefit.

Pretty much.

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Kongato, I only noticed this morning you edited your post moments before I posted my reply (last night).

Both of us tell you to avoid relaxed stretches with a forward bend. So does Thomas Kurz. Such stretches (like the one the photo) loosen the ligaments of the spine - DEFINITELY a bad thing. Do a front split to stretch your hamstrings. If a front split is too difficult, do stretches while lying down (see earlier post in this thread).

Static stretching and relaxed stretching are the same thing. There are only two forms of static stretching - relaxed and isometric. Do not time yourself in relaxed/static stretches. The only time you time yourself in stretches is when counting the duration of tensions in isometric stretches.

13. KonGato

KonGato Valued Member

I just tried that hamstring stretch with the picture (guy using a rope, lying on back) and it felt great :)

Just wondering, is the stretching leg supposed to be completely straight or should it be slightly bent? What is most effective?

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Cool.

Ideally you should keep a straight leg, but bend your knee as much as you need to in order to feel the stretch in the belly of the muscle (about 6 inches above the back of your knee).