Stretching for hours on end, bad or good?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by AxeKickAllDay, Apr 15, 2014.

1. AxeKickAllDay

AxeKickAllDay New Member

Hey everyone, I was wondering if this is a good idea or not. I currently am aiming for a side split and stretch about an hour a day towards that goal, mostly static. I was wondering if I can do a light standing side split stretch when on my computer instead of using a chair. This would potentially add hours to my total stretching time and I was wondering if this would help or hinder my progress? I suppose a more general question would be, can too much stretching be bad for flexibility? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Van Zandt, over to you!

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

General answer: Yes.

How long have you been trying to do the splits?

I mean genuine, consistent stretching without long layoffs?

The average person with poor flexibility and healthy joints can reach full splits (front and side) with static stretching alone in about a year.

Bear in mind that this means, after a year, being able to sit in the splits relatively comfortably at the end of a stretching session - not dropping straight into them (that happens a few months later).

You could do that with 2-3 repetitions of 30-second stretches for each of the major muscle groups every day.

You don't need to do marathon stretching sessions.

Besides, sitting in a stretch for too long can cause muscle spasms, which reduce flexibility.

Bottom line: Learn how to squat, deadlift and do isometric stretches. When combined with static stretches, all of these will enable you to do the splits in a few months tops.

4. AxeKickAllDay

AxeKickAllDay New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I spent a month or two serious stretching and gained about an inch a week.
    I ended up stopping during an exam period to have extra study time and now I have just come back to it and have been at it since last week.
    I have lost flexibility but not much and am still way ahead of how I started.
    I'll follow one of the plans you have put up on the site then and stick to shorter training sessions then.

Thanks for the advice!

5. yorukage

yorukage Valued Member

When I was a young teenager I wanted to become more flexible to improve my martial arts abilities. I really wanted to do the side splits. So, what I did was stack up couch pillows in a pile and do the splits over these while I watched TV. When I got more comfortable with my stretching at one level, I'd remove a pillow. I did this over the course of several weeks until I would watch TV with just two pillows under me. I'd usually hold this for 15 minutes or so.

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Mmmmm, sweaty groin pillows.

#Crisco

:p