Stretching for high kicks

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Van Zandt, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

How will it effect you if you don't do the stretches at the same time every day?

2. Fillythebish

Fillythebish Valued Member

Wow what a resource this thread is! I wish I had seen it earlier. Thanks for putting this up.

I have a couple of questions if anyone wouldn't mind answering them.

Question 1
    When going to the floor with front splits, is it ok to eventually let the leg muscles relax and "sit" in the stretch? Or should the leg muscles be kept tensed to avoid it becoming a relaxed stretch?

I currently sit in the stretch after 30 seconds tense and then lean forward over my front leg with the muslces relaxed, and put my chest on my thigh.

Question 2
    When doing the dynamic stretches in the morning, would it be wise to do a few minutes warmup first? I find I can do them without the warmup, but don't want to cause future issues.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  3. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

1. It depends, if you're doing relaxed stretches, I can't see anything wrong with relaxing into the stretch.

Are you asking that if you get down in an isometric front split stretch and you're far enough down to relax and just sit there, is it okay?

If so, then no, I don't think so, but it would be helpful to know how close you are to the front split just to get an idea of what position you're in.

2. YES. If I remember correctly, Thomas Kurz believes warming up before dynamic stretches is very important. It only haves to be about 5-10 minutes of joint rotations and that sort of thing.

I like to work from toe to head, so when I wake up, I rotate my ankles, shake out my legs, rotate my hips, do trunk twists, swing my arms, shake out my elbows and hands, and roll my neck. Then I usually ease into a little bit of skipping (without rope and lower intensity) and arm swinging like Tom Kurz demonstrates in his DVD (Secrets of Stretching).

I like doing this because not only does it wake me up ;), it makes me feel nice and ready to do the stretches.

Just my two cents. I'm not an expert, but I think this is what Tom Kurz teaches.

Superfoot?

4. Fillythebish

Fillythebish Valued Member

Thanks for the indepth reply.

In the front splits I can reach the ground with leg outstretched infront and back leg outstretched behind, I do one with my back foot on the side (like a sidekick position), and one with the bottom of my foot facing upward (top of my foot flat on the ground).

What I will do is do isometric version and not allow my legs to relax. Then after my isometric stretches are done I'll do the isometric stretch to the floor then let the legs relax and sit into it before doing the rest of my relaxed stretches.

5. Patrick Smith

Okay, I understand now. I think that's okay, but maybe you should just get up after that last isometric stretch, shake your legs out, and then go down in a relaxed stretches. If you're not experiencing any problems and you're still improving then I doubt it's a problem. You just have to listen to your body. ;)

6. KonGato

KonGato Valued Member

Relaxed streching twice a day?

Hi,

I haven't noticed this before but on the first page you mention that one only needs to do relaxed stretching once every day, but now I noticed that you have relaxed stretching in both the morning routine as well as the evening routine = twice a day.

I'm just curious about what is really necessary as I am working every week-day and I find it hard to spend 5 minutes (dynamic) + 15 minutes (relaxed stretching) every morning before breakfast and other morning routines.

How OK would it be to, in the morning, just do the dynamic stretching and just a little relaxed or rather none at all? I.e. instead doing proper relaxed stretching later on the day following dynamic stretching, as once per day would be enough according to other posts.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You only need do them once per day.

I include them in both the example morning and evening workouts to show readers in which order they appear. If you do both the morning and evening workouts, skip them in the morning and just do them in the evening.

Of course, doing relaxed stretches twice per day certainly won't do you any harm. But it's up to you when to plan them according to time restrictions and other commitments in your life.

8. Patrick Smith

Superfoot, I wake up at 6:00 every morning and do dynamic and relaxed stretches (I like doing relaxed stretches in the morning and evening). Then I usually do more dynamic stretches plus my workout at around 2:00 PM and finish with relaxed stretches at 3 or 4 PM in the afternooon/evening. Should I try to do my workout a little bit later or is the timing acceptable?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Observation is the key. As long as you aren't noticing any adverse effects of your routine (e.g. fatigue, soreness, repetitive injuries, etc.) then it should be fine. I for one always do my evening workout exactly at 8pm every night, otherwise my mind wanders and I find other stuff to do. If your schedule is working for you, then why change it?

10. Patrick Smith

I thought so, but I wanted to get a second opinion! Besides, just because I'm doing well with my current routine doesn't mean I couldn't do better with a better one!

Thank'ee very much! :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  11. takahura19

takahura19 Valued Member

Hi guys I need your help. I am training taekwondo for 3 years and I'm like stagnating not becoming better. I have a problem as I train also road cycling in hills and mountains so I combine both sports. I have taekwondo one hour per weekly day. I need an advise how to improve my flexibility as I can't widen my legs for a side split more than 120 degrees. When we had Koreans on exchange two guys took my legs and with all the power stretched me very near to a full side split. I was screaming as hell :D With front split I don't have problem maybe 5-10cm are missing. Otherwise I'm quite tall 186cm and started training taekwondo with 16 years now I'm 19. So I would like to ask you if you can suggest me a kind of plan how to perform better side split as I need it for better dollyo chagi(roundhouse kick) from a hip and also for the kick in head and my hook kicks sucks so much I am shamed. regards

P.S My trainer sucks but he is korean, and we don't have better coaches in my area

12. Patrick Smith

Welcome to MAP.

Don't do that, my friend...

Did you read the first post in this thread? http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89245

How does being Korean make an instructor better? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Patrick360 has put me out of a job.

Dang. :(

14. takahura19

takahura19 Valued Member

I went several times through the posts on begginer guide and here. I would like to ask just about dynamic streching. Should I do like front lifts with fingers on feet up or down if you understand what I mean, than how many repetitions should I do with leg 10 with one and 10 with another or 1 left 1 right and also should I leave the leg in air or should I touch the floor each time. Otherwise great posts thank you a lot. And also about holding legs in air, static-active flexibility is it neccesseary to do and how many times should I do it. regards

15. Patrick Smith

Sorry! :evil: I'm just an evil little sith apprentice!

Okay...here I go again! :vanish:

Here's how I see it (if I've read Superfoot's material correctly), if you want to be able to have impressive kicks, you need the static-active flexibility and strength. Believe me, someone flinging their leg up in the air without any control doesn't look as impressive (or impressive at all) as someone who thrusts their kick out with snap, power and control. If you just want flexibility, then you don't have to do the static-active flexibility exercises.

You should be doing a total of 10-12 reps per leg per set (5 sets per leg per direction). Whether you alternate legs or not is preference. I find it easier and faster if I hold onto a chair or door frame with one hand and do all 12 reps with one leg, then switch to the other leg and do all its 12 reps. However, you could also stand in the middle of a room (make sure it's clear so you don't break something...) and just do them there, one at a time, alternating legs. And yes, I think you should pause at the bottom of the raise and touch your foot to the floor because it helps you avoid swinging.

I hope this helps!

By the way, I was just looking at the little emoticon list while making writing this post and I had a good idea. We need a little emoticon that says, "Call Superfoot!" Problem is, I don't thank there's enough room on the sign... :rolleyes:

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

No, I think a "Call Patrick360" emoticon would suffice :cool:

17. Patrick Smith

Ha ha!! Thanks :)

18. takahura19

takahura19 Valued Member

Well the main point why I want to increase flexibility is that I can start making powerful kicks out of hip and also I can start throwing all kind of kicks hook, high kicks,... so I want to improve my kicking. My most important goal is not to the just splits, but to achieve them so I can kick more powerful and better. Because I am now disgraced of myself :D

19. Patrick Smith

Well, in that case, you should be doing the exercises already discussed in the first post. That's how you're going to get those beautiful high kicks. Just do everything that the first post (and the beginners guide to flexibility thread) says and you'll be fine.

If you're sore after doing isometric stretches, then you're not strong enough for them. Therefor, you need to start doing a strength routine.

If you don't have on already (or even if you do), go here: http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/65-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part3.html It's not only for skinny bastards, the template is great for everybody! All you have to do is add the following exercises to your lower body routine in the workout.

Inner thigh:

Adductor flyes
    Adductor pull-downs

Go here to find out if and how you should be doing your adductor specific exercises:

1. http://www.stadion.com/column_stretch24.html
    2. http://www.stadion.com/column_stretch28.html
    3. http://www.stadion.com/column_stretch27.html

And if you want an easy guide to follow, consider Thomas Kurz's book or DVD, here: http://www.stadion.com/index.htm

Or better yet, wait for Superfoots book (I am!).

In the mean time, I advise you to read up on flexibility at Thomas Kurz's FREE column: http://www.stadion.com/column.html Just reading every single column he's written will help you understand so much more.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  20. takahura19

takahura19 Valued Member

Should I feel pain in relaxed streching. And what should I do after my cycling training which is few hours before taekwondo lesson. regards