Stretching for high kicks

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Van Zandt, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

How's the book coming, Superfoot?

I've got a question about Thomas Kurz and his strength routine.

First of all, is there a way to strengthen the adductors without the shoe weights or a pull down machine? If there isn't, what are the shoe weights called? Besides shoe weights, of course... Maybe it would be wise just to get a bunch of 10lb ankle weights. Hmm?

Secondly, I do strongman training, but because I'm still building up my knees, I do 100-500 squats holding 40lbs (two 20lb dumbbells) in sets of 25 (or 50 if I feel really good ;-), instead of doing really heavy weighted squats. I figure that strength is strength, so as long as do my full body strongman training plus weighted adductor flies I should be pretty well off, right?

Thirdly, Kurz says that you shouldn't work past feeling uncomfortable. Why not?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Mmm... so-so. Won't be released this year. I'm writing at the speed of a chapter per week. It's taken a bit of a back seat to Silat at the moment. But I'll get there in the end :cool:

3. Patrick Smith

Oops! I added a lot of questions to my other post, but after you replied! :rolleyes:

Okay, here it is again.

I've got a lot of questions about Thomas Kurz and his Secrets of Stretching tape.

First of all, is there a way to strengthen the adductors without the shoe weights or a pull down machine? If there isn't, what are the shoe weights called? Besides shoe weights, of course... Maybe it would be wise just to get a bunch of 10lb ankle weights. Hmm?

Secondly, I do strongman training, but because I'm still building up my knees, I do 100-500 squats holding 40lbs (two 20lb dumbbells) in sets of 25 (or 50 if I feel really good ;-), instead of doing really heavy weighted squats. I figure that strength is strength, so as long as do my full body strongman training plus weighted adductor flies I should be pretty well off, right?

Thirdly, Kurz says that you shouldn't work past feeling uncomfortable. Why not?

Forthly :)rolleyes:), in Secrets of Stretching (the DVD), Kurz swings his legs when he does dynamic stretches at first, then later he does them properly... do you know why?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Get a length of rope, tie one end around your ankle and attach a dumbbell plate at the other. Hoist it over the top of a door and *ta da* adductor pulldowns :cool:

Can't find those weight boots anywhere.

Yes.

Probably to stop you exhausting the muscles (which isn't necessary nor beneficial).

Define "properly"?

5. Patrick Smith

I could be wrong, but didn't you say swinging your legs in dynamic stretches is bad?

Either way, why did he do the morning and evening dynamic stretches differently?

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Ah, now I understand what you mean. Yes, you are right, it is better to lead or lift the leg rather than swing it.

Not sure. Bad editing probably.

7. Patrick Smith

Thanks!

I just set up my own homemade adductor pull down machine and it works great!

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

9. Patrick Smith

Yes, I screwed a strong pulley to the wooden base which I screwed to the ceiling. I used a lot of screws and it's very very strong, but it might be wiser to use bolts.

After this, I ran a rope through the pulley and on one end, I tied some barbell weights. I made sure the room was the right length by resting the weights on the floor and then pulling the other end of the rope halfway to the floor and then tying a loop that I could put my foot in. Then, while wearing shoes, I put my foot through the loop, took a step away from the pulley, and put one hand on a chair for balance.

After that?

Well, after that, I had FUN. :hat:

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You might want to do like I did and put something beneath the weight plates to cushion them should they fall. Trust me when I say they make a loud bang if the rope comes undone.

11. Patrick Smith

Haha, good idea.

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hope you reach your goals Pat :cool:

13. KonGato

KonGato Valued Member

Knee be straight?

Hello, I have a question regarding both dynamic stretching and the side- and roundhousekick.

- Dynamic stretching: When doing the side-stretches, should the supporting legs knee be held straight or should it be slightly bent? Is it dangerous or good to keep it straight?

- Side and roundhouse-kick: At the moment of impact doing these kicks, should the supporting leg and knee be straightened or be kept slightly bent?
    I have heard that if you keep the supporting leg perfectly straight you may lose some balance and power... true? What is "the truth" adn why? :)

Same question for both dynamic stretching and kicks :)

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Straight.

Straight.

15. Patrick Smith

I believe that the both legs should be straight during dynamic stretching... I think. Does it matter?

16. GaryT85

GaryT85 Super Gario

i think you will find that if you do the side raise dynamic stretches with a bent supporting leg, you dont get as good a stretch..

so if your leg is straight, you will get a better stretch :cool:

(simple thinking on reason would be the tension on the muscles 'at the other end' when the leg is straigh as opposed to bent.... im sure superfoot will give a better explanation on that)

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

That is correct.

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Your explanation is good enough :cool:

The scientific explanation is that your dynamic stretches should resemble your kicks as closely as possible - principle of specificity and all that - and unless you kick at full extension with bent knees, you should keep your legs straight in your dynamic stretches to improve your dynamic ROM in relation to your kicking techniques.

19. KonGato

KonGato Valued Member

Hello,

I have a question regarding the TIMING of relaxed stretching...

I read that when doing relaxed stretching, the "newly found flexibility" only stays that way a day or less. So, within which intervals should relaxed stretching be done; within 15, 18 hours or about 24 hours?

Maybe it doesn't matter so much? Just that you do them about the same time as previously (+/- 5 hours) ?

Edit: Reason for suddenly asking is that I did much relaxed stretching at 11 pm yesterday and today at 11 am I did my strength training. After my training I felt like doing relaxed stretching but I only did very little stretching considering it only had been 12 hours since my relaxed stretching sesson.
    Did I confuse my post even further??? :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Try to do your stretches about the same time each day.