Stretching for high kicks

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Van Zandt, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Ikarus

Ikarus Valued Member

I'll add my vote to the "sticky this thread!" petition. Extremely helpful info. Cheers!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  2. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

Good stuff. I'm a bit worried that people in the gym this evening thought i was goose stepping... :evil:

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

:evil:

4. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

The uniform and mustache probably didn't help... ;)

The one thing i am finding is tired legs when i do my morning cardio. Today wasnt helped by last nights pizza sitting a little too heavy in the stomach though!

5. 1998232v6

1998232v6 Capoeira = Life

wow, what an excellent write up

6. liero

liero Valued Member

I Do have to agree with Matt B.

I'm getting a suprising amount of DOMS from the dynamic stretching in the early morning, which I've been doing for about 9 days.

I normally do this type of stretching before class and havnt had issues before. Could it just be due to frequency/time of day?

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Do you still do dynamic stretching twice a day on rest days?

8. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

I'm not getting DOMS, just feel like I done some sort of workout on my legs. Nothing like a leg weights session though. That said I smashed my PB on my Sat morning run!

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Dynamic stretches shouldn't cause DOMS. Give it another couple of weeks, if it's still the same then I'd suggest looking at reducing your training load in other areas.

Yessir.

What was the distance/time?

10. liero

liero Valued Member

In retrospect its probobly the other areas that are giving me soreness, just confounded by the new stretching routine.

On rest days I only did 1 set of stretching. Should I do another one, maybe in the evening?

11. GaryT85

GaryT85 Super Gario

yep :cool:

12. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

Time was 6min 53 but no idea on the distance. Knocked 20 secnds off after weeks of going nowhere.

13. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

St. Superfoot.

THANKS.

14. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

One thing I am finding with dynamic stretching first thing in the morning and last thing at night (followed by passive stretching) is that I am getting a very sore lower back - any ideas?

15. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

Is it imperative that dynamic stretches be done within 15 minutes of waking up, or is it optional to do otherwise?

I ask this because I have to do all my training in the morning, but I'm not able to wake up, do my dynamic stretching, and then do my training at the same time. At 6:45 am I wake up, but I'm not able to train until 9:00 am. What I've been doing is just waiting until 9:00 am and then doing my stretching and other training.

16. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

Do as I do. Get up, stretch, breakfast and go to the gym. I then do the relaxed stretching at the end of my workout

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

How long have you been doing them for?

MattB puts it nicely:

18. bphan002

bphan002 Valued Member

How importnat is it to stretch within 15 minutes of waking up? I've been doing it about 30 minutes after waking up. Also, should I still be doing dynamic stretches if I did strength training the day before and with my muscles sore? When I try to do them I notice my range is less and usually stop a little above shoulder height for the front dynamic stretch. Usually I can go above my head if I'm not sore.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Very.

Your level of muscular tension (and thus, "cold" ROM) is usually set for the rest of the day 15-20 minutes after you wake. Think of the first 15 minutes or so as the best window of opportunity for you to reset this tension to a higher level for the rest of the day.

Your muscles should not be sore regularly. If they are, you're probably training too much, or too often, or both. You can still do dynamic stretches when you have DOMS - but be very careful. You might find it useful to do mild relaxed stretches beforehand (as per the instructions of my original post).

20. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

This is the 2nd week. I used to do dynamic stretches a lot, but normally before class, not first thing in the morning. I prolapsed two discs in my lower back some time ago - a condequence is that I think some of the supporting muscles are weaker than they should be.

A single set of 12 (front and side) gets me to full height, then passive stretching.