Stretching Article

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pobeli, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

Hi, I'm pretty clueless as far as stretching is concerned, and I came across this article a few minutes ago. Can anyone who's more of an authority on the subject give me an opinion on it? I'm looking to develop or find a good stretching routine, but I don't really know any stretches. Here's the link:

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_90lazy

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

It's a cool article. What do you want from a stretching routine? Ability to do the splits, joint health and mobility, injury prevention, dynamic flexibility (ie. higher kicks etc)?

3. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

Seems like a cool article. Is he actually right about the whole static streching being better thing? I have heard that it's been proven to reduce performance or something.

4. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

That's what I was wondering about, since he promotes static stretching before workouts, and yet even mentions in the article that that is generally frowned upon. What I want from a stretching routine is basically everything you said: higher kicks, nearer to splits even if I can't ever reach them, injury prevention, etc. Also, I've heard lots about dynamic leg lifts increasing one's ability to "kick cold," but does doing them actually increase how far a muscle can stretch, or only how far it can stretch without warming up? In other words, will doing leg raises increase my flexibility, or only allow me to use my full flexibility without a warmup? My leg flexibility is so horrible. It's sad when I see my sister (a gymnast) sticking her leg straight up in the air with her foot about ten inches above her head when I can barely lift my leg to my waist height.

So if I did this routine, should I do it only before my workouts, as he is saying, or should I do it again after the workout, perhaps more intensely, to increase my flexibility?

5. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

Here's another question: Hypothetically, if I were to stretch every two hours or so every day, would my flexibility increase at a tremendous rate, or would I just be harming myself? Or would the gains just not be any faster?

6. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

Pobeli, dynamic flexibility is limited by static ROM. If you have can only kick to shoulder height even when really warm then that is about the limit you can expect to reach with dynamic stretching. Dynamic stretching everyday would eventually allow you to reach your "warm height" from cold with no proir strething with maybe a small increase in height. To increase the height of your kicks you would need to increase your static ROM as well.

7. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

That's what I thought, I was just asking to make sure. :)

What about my other question?

8. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

with stretching more isn't necessarily better. A well planned routine for improving your useable flexiblity would incorporate rest as well. For example isometric stretching should be treated as a strength exercise and hence you need usually 48 hrs rest before attempting them again. I suppose it depends on the person, if you want to stretch everyday fine, just be careful you are not overdoing it. Only you will know. Personally I dont do much stretching out of class anymore (dynamic warm up and static cool down) because I am seeing better improvements just from doing lunges and squats in wide and deep stances.

9. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

OK, thanks. I figured it was something like that, because otherwise more people would be finding a way to fit constant stretching into their lives, thus achieving maximum flexibility in around a week.

10. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

OK, I've got another stretching question: I'm considering getting Tom Kurz's book, but I'm wondering if it'll make any sense to me. I'm only a junior in high school. Is it likely to go way over my head, or will I be able to understand it and benefit from it? Thanks.

EDIT: Also, does it have stretching routines and exercises, or does it just tell you what kind of stretches to do and when, etc.?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  11. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

the book is good but personally I found the video secrets of stretching easier to follow. you just follow the exercises.

for kicking I found Power High Kicks to be the best.