strengthshop uk -

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Dead_pool, Mar 4, 2013.

1. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

If you feel particularly generous you could buy me a pair?

Desperate for a set in my gym, hoping to get some comissioned by a welding buddy.

If I remember correctly you live near 'mo power' gym? He fabricates a lot of quality strongman kit for decent prices.

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I can't open Strength Shop website at the mo. and wondering just what is a Football Bar? (imagines a set of goals)

3. seiken steve

@ harra

Attached Files:

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If I win the lottery I shall buy you some farmer's handles! :)

I'm within driving distance of 'mo power' so it might be worth a consideration when I want sexy new kit for my garage... :)

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

My garage has been dubbed "The Red room of pain" because I've got red mats down. :)
    If you've read "50 shades of grey" you'll get the reference.

6. seiken steve

AAAWWWWW thankyou!!

Tell him I sent you, he'll remember me as the skinny kid he helped through a strongman meet, he's a good dude and I've heard good things about his kit.

When the football bar gets there you'll have to let us know about it, like how it compares to Swiss bars etc,

7. Frodocious

Will do!

I've never actually used a Swiss bar, only dumbbells with the neutral grip, but I will be able to let you know how my shoulder handles pressing with the football bar as opposed to the standard bar (which it doesn't really like).

8. Frodocious

New toy arrived Thursday - great service considering I ordered Wednesday afternoon. Due to life getting in the way, I didn't get a chance to open the package till today. :(

I also splashed out on a set of fractional plates (2x 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5kg) and some 'expand your hands bands'.

The football bar is a monster, stupidly I hadn't checked the length before ordering it and didn't realise that it's a 7 footer! Not that I mind, but it was a bit of a surprise! It's decent construction, weighs 10kg and the grips are really thick (another thing I hadn't realised but, again, not a real problem). The one downside is that the bar is too wide to sit on the pins in my power rack properly, but I suspect I can work round that. It comes with 2 cheapish collars (which I was told about) so will probably end up using spring collars on it at some point (when I get my full bumper plate set).

The bar gives me 3 grip widths - narrow, medium and wide. The wide is a little too wide for my short, hobbity arms, but the other 2 are fine.

I played around with it today, doing some floor presses and benches and my shoulder was fine with them. I also tried some overhead squats (which were awkward) and rows (which were OK, but not great - due to the width of the bar). I also think that it might be a decent bar to use for glute bridges (when I get some more weight for it) because the width of the main part of the bar means that then pressure is spread out over a greater area than when using a standard bar, so there's less pain caused.

All in all, I'm happy with this bar (obviously that might change when I start ramping up the weight).

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Theres lockjaws on amazon for 13quid a pair ATM.

10. seiken steve

Would like to change my stance to a huge lover of strengthshop.

All of my kit is now from there, all of it. Fat bars, a yoke, logs, oly shoes, nose tork, belt, grippers and floss bands. All brilliant

11. Dead_pool

Just ordered a weight tree from them, 10 minutes later I Had an email back saying there picking it as we speak and it'll be there tomorrow before lunchtime!

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Damn...that's not my experience with powerhouse-fitness and fitness-superstore.
    10 days ago I ordered 2 x 20kg weights and a 7 foot bar from fitness-superstore and I've got nothing to show for it.
    Maybe 3rd time lucky with strength shop when I need something next time? :(

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What gets me is that fitness-superstore have multiple show rooms around the country.
    I could probably walk into the leeds branch and get what I wanted in 10 minutes.
    It genuinely baffles me that online stores aren't absolutely on top of customer service. That's all you have to go on whether they are good or not.
    Follow up e-mails, apology and explanation if things are being held up or any problems, updates, etc.

14. Frodocious

It's worth keeping an eye on their weekly specials as they often have some great deals on kit there.

15. Dead_pool

It turned up an hour ago!

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah rub it in. I'll mail fitness-superstore today, cancel my order and get a refund.
    I think nearly 2 weeks without any news on an ETA is quite long enough.
    It's only 2 weights and a bar. Pretty standard stuff.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Gack...strength shop don't appear to sell standard sized bars or weights.
    Looks like I'm on the look out for reliable supplier number 4. :(

18. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

What do you mean by standard size? I thought Olympic was 'the' standard size

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Is not the 1 inch sort of bar you might get from Argos called standard?
    I'm new to this lifting lark.

20. Frodocious

Yes. Most of my weights are standard - I wish I'd known the difference when I started buying stuff years ago. I would have gone straight for the 2" Olympic size weights and not touched the standard stuff.