Strength Training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by kravi2, Jan 3, 2012.

1. kravi2

kravi2 Valued Member

Uh. I'm doing rows, it is in the routine ;) And pullups/chinups.

--Me

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

seiken steve said there was no rows, that was addressed to him.

What I was saying to you is there's no need to modify the routine. What you're currently adding is unnecessary. If you have the energy to fart around on accessory exercises after three compound lifts, you're not working your compound lifts hard enough.

3. kravi2

kravi2 Valued Member

Go away. Seriously.

--Me

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If you want to discount the advice of someone who used to be a welterweight and turned himself into a heavyweight through sensible weight training in a few short years, that's fine. Good luck on your program and I hope you don't hurt yourself when you go into overtraining. Because you most likely will if you're training at the intensity you should be.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I agree.

6. kravi2

kravi2 Valued Member

Ok, so what I don't want is comments like "farting around". Starting Strength is a linear progression. How can you fart around? I mean, I max weight each and every time I exercise (3 x 5), and am at the point of failure. It isn't like I'm just lifting the same weight over and over again...

Secondly, according to Rippetoe, novices can't overtrain. I do Starting Strength twice a week (including my mods) rather than 3. I am not getting close to overtraining.

Also, please don't take this the wrong way, as I'm not trying to be rude. I don't know you. You say you were a welterweight and turned yourself into a heavyweight. You may be a 300 pound 90 year old woman for all I know, and your abrasive comments about farting around and not working hard enough don't encourage me to want to listen to you or trust you. That's all I meant by "go away".

--Me

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If you have the energy to do a bunch of accessory exercises after three main compound lifts, you're not pushing yourself hard enough on those three lifts. Hate to say it, but it's true. It's your body and your program though, so go ahead and do what you like.

If all you're doing is lifting, eating, and sleeping, sure it's a lot harder to overtrain. However, as martial artists, we can't neglect the skill portion. Like I said, it's your program, do what you want.

I'm just a guy who competed in raw powerlifting and amateur strongman competitions for a while. Nothing exceptional in either area. Good luck with your program.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

But you don't know ANYONE on this board, so by logical extension why take any of this advice or even ask the question in the first place?

Sounds to me like you want validation not advice

9. Ooooops! foot in mouth disease, I say! :eek:
    If you don't know who you are talking to, maybe you should just shut up and listen for a little bit longer instead of asking for advice that you can't use and making comments that reveal so much about where you are at?

OSu!

10. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

This type of comment gives me the impression that you're far too sensitive to be lifting weights.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012