Strength Training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by kravi2, Jan 3, 2012.

1. kravi2

kravi2 Valued Member

So I shamelessly pirated my base plan off Starting Strength and then modified it a bit. Critiques welcome and hoped for. Is a two day routine which repeats, as I'm still a novice. As I'm training for strength (minus the two vanity exercises) I take a full 4 minute break between sets. Squats are by themselves, but I may do Presses and Curls, for example, at the same time.

Day 1:
    Squats 3 x 5
    Press 3 x 5
    Deadlift 3 x 5
    Pullups 3 x 5 (assisted for the most part)
    EZBar Curls (purely for vanity) 3 x 5

Day 2:
    Squats 3 x 5
    Bench Press 3 x 5
    Barbell Row 3 x 5
    Chinups 3 x 5 (like pullups, assisted beyond the first couple)
    Upright Rows (purely for vanity) 3 x 8

--Me

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Some will say, less sets, less reps, more weight gradually, for strength

3. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

SS was set up that way for a reason. If your aren't going to stick to that program why would it be any different if somebody tells you to change your current routine?

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You should be the master of your weight. Just don't let the weight to become your master. If you "enjoy" your weight training, you may keep doing it for the rest of your life. The weight training suppose to be fun.

5. kravi2

kravi2 Valued Member

I'm assuming this comment was to 47MartialMan, and not me? I'm sticking to their program with a couple of additions, and sticking to the recommended 3 x 5 as well...

--Me

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Seems reasonable use of the SS plan. Are you using the prescribed warm up sets as well as the main working sets?

I'm not a fan of upright rows, they can be damaging for your shoulders in the long term.

7. kravi2

kravi2 Valued Member

Yeah, I'm doing plenty of warmup sets for each exercise, lubricating the joints as it is. I don't record them, but I certainly do them.

Upright rows can damage the shoulders? That is disturbing. To be honest, I'm doing them out of vanity (what man doesn't want a pair of shoulders) like the curls - everything else is purely for function. Do you have a recommendation of an alternative to the upright rows? I'd like something which strengthens the shoulders in balance, not just the front or sides of the shoulder.

--Me

8. Frodocious

The problem with upright rows is that they take the shoulder through a range of motion that can lead to impingement in people predisposed to the condition. If you're wanting some decent trap development then adding in shrugs (barbell or dumbbell) could help. For deltoids, a mix of delt and lateral raises could work and dips will also work your shoulders, triceps and a selection of other muscles.

Have a look round here:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

for some ideas, but just be aware that it does list exercises that are not necessarily best for longterm joint health (like upright rows).

Adding in some extra row variations (inverted, dumbbell, chest supported) will help with back and shoulder development and balance out the pressing.

9. kravi2

kravi2 Valued Member

Thanks for the response. Honestly, I'm just looking for one exercise that works :)

I've got a full body routine, just looking to finish off one day with some shoulder bulking exercises. The vanity, I know ;)

I thought also about Arnold Presses, as they seem to work everything as well, but settled for upright rows because they seem to work the entire delt more equally.

--Me

10. Frodocious

Arnold presses are a good 'bang for your buck' exercise, but don't really hit the rear delt, maybe do those plus some rear delt raises to target the back of your shoulder. You may find that just adding in something for the rear delt is ok. The overhead pressing should hit the front of your shoulder nicely, so concentrating more on the rear might be a better strategy.

11. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

looks good to me.

I dislike upright rows because of my trick shoulder, if you can do them pain free then they are a pretty decent trap move. i like hang cleans and shrugs (both DB and BB) for growing my yoke.

for the curls, which you've said your self are for vainity (personaly i think heavy curls are a great movement but whatever) if your doing them for size gains a higher rep would be handy, how about a set of 5, set of 8-10 (still heavy) and then a much higher rep set to get the blood in (like 12-15)

just because its higher reps doesnt mean you've gotta use baby weights though.

FWIW i like the set up mate.

12. kravi2

kravi2 Valued Member

Thanks Steve!

I do 3 x 8 for the upright rows (though I may switch to simple lat raises) for more hypertrophy.

For curls, though, I don't want or need significant hypertrophy. I like the strength gains by 3 x 5 and there is still enough hypertrophy to satisfy my vanity :)

--Me

13. seiken steve

fair one. my arms jut dont grow with low rep work, my last training partner got some pretty hefty guns on him of 3x3 and similar. i cant be bothered with the work it takes to make my arms grow, would rather put that time into my traps and lats!

14. kravi2

kravi2 Valued Member

I know what you mean. I'm one of the lucky ones who puts on muscle pretty quickly. My problem, even eating primaly, is shedding body fat. As you can see in the routine I mapped out, I'm a big fan of working the back, which is why I've supplemented Starting Strength with "bonus" back exercises.

--Me

15. Frodocious

Everyone should work the back! Too many people ignore it and then get shoulder/postural problems!

16. seiken steve

my main gripe with starting strength is the lack of rows in there. getting a big, wide thick back helps all of your lifts and makes you look much larger an more muscular.

dave tate said that in comeptition the guys with huge chests or massive legs never really worried him, the guys with a big back always had him sweating.

i train in strongman, back and traps is like everyone elses chest and arms in that world.
    my next program has both being hit twice a week while my chest gets worked every other week....

as for getting lean, a good clean diet and brutal conditioning work. efter every session do something that makes you want to die, prowlers, hills and sandbahs are good tools to start suicidal though processes.

17. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

The base novice program of SS has the option of either cleans or rows. Really, that's what the OP should be doing. You want big arms? Squat, row, and press big weights. Bigger shoulders? Once you're pressing serious poundages overhead you can't help but have bigger shoulders.

In the words of the wise Paul Kelso - "There is no need to isolate or define a muscle until you actually have muscle to isolate or define."

People often think in strength training more is better, but that's not the case. Less is more. If you have the energy to mess around after doing three compound lifts in one day, you're not pushing yourself hard enough in the first three exercises.

19. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

This is so true and why so many people don't get results they expected at the gym.

20. flaming

flaming Valued Member