Strength Training Ideas for Techniques

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KSW_123, Nov 17, 2006.

1. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

What do all of you do for strength training related to techniques?
    One obvious answer is to do techniques with a partner who is resisting like crazy.

I am thinking more along the lines of what you can do by yourself. I will kick it off.

I use something called a power web, http://www.fitter1.com/dynamic-hand-therapy.html#53.

For techniques such as Joong Geup Sohn Mohk Soo 6, Kwan Juhl Ki 3 etc...
    Put pinky through middle finger, in adjascent holes, in one side of web and the thumb as far away as possible. Keep the index finger extended. Hold the edge of the web with the other hand.

The exercise is
    1. Squeeze three fingers and thumb together, keep index finger extended.
    2. In the closed position, rotate your hand to push the index finger into the web.
    3. Open and repeat.

I find this exercise closing matches the above techniques (and does not result in a bruised up partner).

Anybody else have some good ideas?

2. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

For me, when it comes to strength training for technique work, I find what I need most focus on is grip strength. So I try to do exercises that work on grip, wrist, forearm type of things. I have one of those little gripper things at my desk that I'll fiddle with now and again. I want to start getting into fingertip pushups as soon my wrist problems clear up (injury).

One thing I've found to focus on is really involving the pinky. Think about it. How do you hold a crystal wine glass? probably with the pinky extended. How do you hold a hammer? you involve the pinky. The pinky is so important towards secure grip. Next time you grab on to someone's wrist, consciously think about involving your pinky and you'll find you have a strong, more secure grab. So when I do things like working with my little gripper thing I try to really work my pinky into the mix. Makes a world of difference.

3. ember

ember Valued Member

Weapons training, some. Nothing like staff spinning or jool bong to work on that forearm and wrist strength.

So far, for grip, I'm doing that finger squeeze thing.

If anyone has ideas for thumb strength though... And not thumb pushups, those just hurt.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  4. JSun

JSun Valued Member

Grab a dumbell by one the heads of the weight with your fingertips. Stand up and hold it until your fingers feel like they're going to loose their grip.

I also got a wood dowel rod and drilled a hole through the center. Put a three feet piece of rope through it and knot one end of the rope. Tie the other end of the rope through a hole in a twenty-five pound barbell plate. Twist the rod and wind the rope around the dowel, pulling the weight up. It's great for the forearms.

I've found that both these exercises have helped my grip and hand strength.

5. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

What motion are you trying to make stronger?

The Power Web is a good versatile tool to start with. I've seen lots of other stuff, eg the eagle claw trainer, but they are usually not nearly as versatile.
    Other the other hand if you have a specific thing in mind you might have to use specific tools.