Strength Power without Bulk

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by humble, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

in the book called Holes there is a guy who carries a pig up a mountain every day, as well as bringing it back down.

After the pig was huge, he was also pretty damn strong. Pig started off as a tiny piglet that was just born. Then grew fast into a giant pig.

I guess after the giant pig dies, you go for a Calf as its about the same size, wait till its the size of a horse... after a horse an elephant? The size just keeps increasing lol :p

but that's just something random

2. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

There are various stories from history of people doing it with goats (in china I think) and bulls (in Greece I think) which was partly why I put goats in the list lol.

The other part was country-file was on the telly.

:Angel:

3. Pkhamidar2com

I wish i could do this myself. If i had a bull, and a mountain to climb, i would do this. It sounds insanely fun and it is a full body workout, you get a pet bull/goat and form a bonded relationship while your carrying it up the mountain...

Strange though because i cant find any vidoes of people carrying random animals up mountains... darn it

4. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

apparently, it's been tried and it's failed :( supposedly the body just can't adapt quickly enough. Which, when you think about it, is a damn shame. It would definetly work with a sheep though. The problem is, sheep don't get that big...

5. Pkhamidar2com

Damn... that sucks. But thats what i was talking about before. If you start off with a sheep. Then you find another animal, that is very young but the same size as a fully grown sheep... But then again that new animal may grow very quickly.

But it is a shame.

But how fast does a goat grow? A bull i can understand... they are huge, and rough...

But a goat, i mean dont people usually put on way more weight barbell when they squat compared to the amount a goat puts on. It takes a while for animals to grow in comparison to adding weight with weight training? Or am i being too ignorant.

In any case, it could also be the over-training since your doing it every day right?

6. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

well, you wouldn't have to do it every day. But your idea of a progression of animals rather than a progression of resistance is a good one.

7. seiken steve

You could do it every day, it's the whole point to the anecdote; the body adapts to the stress pressented to it.

A blacksmith doesn't only work 3 days a week.

8. Pkhamidar2com

agreed like builders and farmers lift heavy every day. and they are very strong built. also in swain countries the poor do the rickshaw where they peddle a bike most of the day with up to 2 people on it! how the hell do they do it? through sheer will power?

so do you think lifting every day is possible in this sense?

9. Of course it would be possible, but there is a limit beyond which the body would breakdown.

What would be the purpose?
    Lifting every day might not be optimal for your goals.

Goal 1: empty all the trucks that arrive to keep my job - lifting everything that comes in every day does that.
    Goal 2: improve your explosive strength and feel good every morning upon waking up - I am not sure you should lift every day... ;)

Osu!

10. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I thought that you were supposed to use a bull and not a goat.

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

milo!
    carry it a mile everyday and eat kilos of meat, bread and wine
    also wrestle

12. seiken steve

If you develop the work capacity yeah.

Is it optimal? Probably not for most people.

Columbo trained 5-16 times a week in the run up for his Olympia, Jamie Lewis trained up to 20 times a week before his last meet, chris thibs trained twice a day and sometimes more to get the size he is now.
    Many if not all high level olympic lifters will be lifting at least every day, often 2 to 3 times. Dudes at westside work up to training everyday if not more.

When you luck at many training programs what they offer you is the bare basics of the lifting, once upon a time it was just a given that you would throw your own stuff in between the scheduled days: plyo work, roadwork, vanity stuff, etc. Now most people won't believe you if you say that and tell you it's overtraining. wielder has a lot to answer for IMO.

I recommend reading 'westside barbell book of methods' by Louie simmonds. 'insuring insanity' by Jamie Lewis (and his blog 'chaos and pain' VERY NSFW)

Both of these touch on developing work capacity and increasing workout frequency. Some of Jamie's stuff is mental, 8-15 sets of 1-2 reps at stupidly high percentages almost daily!

13. Keep in mind that all the guys in reference above are drugged to the hilt with steroids and other stuff.
    All the guys at westside barbell too, per the confession of louie simmonds 'H-issef!

What it means is that to get to that kind of work capacity and recuperation, rest & recovery, you'll need to sell your soul!

I have not read the books in reference, and they may contain great advice... However, a LARGE dose of salt is needed before you can transfer anything from them into your life.

Osu!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  14. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

I thought sheep were actually quite massive. I'm sure i heard on tv recently that a Ram could weigh nearly 130 kilos and averaged at around 90 kilos. :eek:
    Personally i'd rather do it with (a) Ewe but that's probably just my Welsh heritage speaking. :evil:

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

With some altering of the measurements and possibly using some pipe instead of wood, the plans for an Okinawan chishi (stone lever) should work out pretty well to make something for those kinds of exercises involving weight on one end. I wouldn't trust wood once you got to a significant weight.

16. seiken steve

Thibs and Lewis are clean. The oly lifters are arguably clean.

I train every day and I'm clean.

Hundreds of people hit thibs IBB workout and survived.

And to reference my previous point blacksmiths and the like aren't using gear, nor are they eating particularly well (thinking oldy-Worley here)

I ain't saying Deadlift a new 1rm every day but a few sets of GHR and curls on a off day are going to effect nothing. Except help you get big arms and a strong squat.

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Working out every day certainly is possible, but it's structured quite differently from the usual workout routines you see. Arthur Saxon, quite possibly one of the strongest men who ever lived, used to train every day but in his eyes it was more practice than working out. Needless to say, this is quite a difficult topic to cover in this one thread, but looking into such writers as Steve Justa and Pavel Tsatouline will shed some light on it.

18. seiken steve

Handy having someone who isn't a dyslexic Geordie to put what your trying to say into actual sentences and stuff :p

19. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Saxon actually trained his bent press virtually every day. No wonder why he could do 370 pounds with that sucker.

[​IMG]

20. Admittedly... thanks for the precisions and to Kuma too. :)
    Last time I frequently met some oly lifters was when I was on track & files, and that's 25 years ago... They were not whiter than white then... :rolleyes:

Osu!