Street fighting experience

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Martial artist, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Martial artist

Martial artist New Member

This one is for the people that know how to fight in a street fight or have experience in a street fight.

If you was in a street fight or if you have been in a street fight where do you hit them and whats the quickest way to beat them up?

Do you keep throwing punches to their face as fast as you can and hit them anywhere or what?

Thank you for the people that answer to this thread.

2. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Better delete the other one , i dont think posting the same thing on 2 topics is allowed

3. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I don’t care much for street fighting; I don’t know what it is. Is it similar to beach fighting? :D

Your second paragraph raised a question with me. Why do you want to beat them up? Or do you mean stop them from beating you up?

4. Nathan Algren

Nathan Algren New Member

/me claps quietly, bows to Linz-san :cool:

5. gakami

gakami Valued Member

Let me get this straight, are you asking for a formulaic approach to a streetfight?

6. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

The easiest way to win a street fight is to take up sprinting. I have had to fight in the street and there are no rules and no formula. You may face up against one opponent and if you start to get the better of him then 2 more will join in against you. Its not worth it.

7. Kosh

Kosh New Member

What does street fighting have to do with self defence. Its the EXACT opposite of selfdefence. Whats the fastest way to get f***ed up? Get in a street fight.

8. Z-Rex

Z-Rex Valued Member

Boy, I just love people who take the high ground when someone asks a question. After all, as martial artists, we will never get into a street fight and will always find a better way out and because of our training we will never find ourselves in that situation......

Folks, a street fight is nothing but a term used to describe the lowest level of brawling imaginable. No rules, no judge to step in, no katas to perform. If you are the idiot who initiated it, or the poor guy or gal in the wrong place at the wrong time, it's a reality. I've seen a lot of good, untrained, street fighters. And if you think that they are push overs, you have another thing coming.

As to the question posed by Martial Artist, there is no real formula accept that usually the dirtiest fighter, or the one who attacks first, usually wins. My philosophy is you do what you need to do to survive and go home in one peace.

P.S.
    Sorry for being a little harsh, not usually my style, but I've seen to many threads where people decide to stand on a high ground and I'm a little tired of it.

9. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Eh, who is that aimed at?

Youre saying that 'street fighting' cant be avoided?

I was making the point that self defence [the name of this particular forum] has very little in common with fighting.

10. johndoch

johndoch upurs

When their backs are turned :rolleyes:

11. Z-Rex

Z-Rex Valued Member

No one and every one.

Just like driving a car responsibly, you can avoid an accident. Doesn't mean you won't be in one. Hence why you should have insurance. It also depends on where you live. Not everyone lives in a nice place.

Excuse me? Self defese is about surviving the realities of the violent side of our world. Street fighting, bar brawls, muggings, rape, police work, bouncing, or just plain old keep your eyes open (awareness) is all a part of it. Maybe the better question would have been, "how to defend against street fighters?". From what I read from the original question, I believe Martial Artist was looking for feedback from people who have had experience in this area. Not an argument on semantics.

12. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Well this thread has gotten rather friendly, hasnt it? :D

To answer the question at hand--If you absolutely have to fight, and I dont mean that you wont back down, I mean that you REALLY have to; the best way to come out unharmed is to hit first and hard, if you are going to kick keep it from the midsection down and if you are going to punch go for the face. Remember that most of the times you dont have to kill anyone in a club, act accordingly.

On a sidenote: I do not condone fighting, I am an avid sprinter and cross country runner just trying to answer the man's question. :Angel:

13. Protein

Protein New Member

You don't practice grappling, do you? :D Your question is too generalistic(sry, if not the right term), so this will be a long anwer. In street fighting, there are many important factors. Your success does not only deped on where do you hit them. You must be mentally prepared to react well in these kind of situations. Some people are, some can learn it, some can not. You may think you are, but truth is, you never know if you haven't been in one before. Even if you learn you are not, it's not easy to preapare yourself to the next situation. Even if you are able to fight back, your must be able to execute effective techniques, instictly. The double-jumping-roundhouse may not be the best choice, even if it means two points in point tounaments. Quickest way maybe to elbow the spine 2-3 times, but thats mostly not an option. YOU know in the situation you are in, YOU are the one who must choose the best solution, how the hell should we know :confused: ? Sorry, but no formula for that, really. I like to strike, lock and choke, but there are other ways, just ask the Muay Thai guys.

As others told before me there in no formulatic approach(or should not be).

When you learn more about fighting and martial arts, you will learn how silly questions were these. Your lucky that there is someone who bothered answering them.

14. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

You look like a decent, sensible person, so I'll be one myself. Don't ask about streetfights. You cannot train for a streetfight. If you knew what your opponent is going to do, it is not a streetfight, it is a professional fighting event or what have you.

If you are faced with a streetfight, run like the devil. That's what a man does. He protects himself; he doesn't go hurting others if he is not forced to. If you must fight, do whatever is necessary to defend yourself, not beat up the other guy. Like badger suggested, if you start winning, more people will just come in. Fight to get away.

15. rtkd-badger

Basically if you want to train to defend yourself on the street you have to train in standup fighting, clinch fighting and grappling. Most street fights will end up in a clinch and then usually go to ground. But I still stand by my first piece of advice, steer clear of trouble.

16. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I still don’t understand the street fighting description, how is this type of fight any different from any type of fight (not sporting contest)? If you study a non sporting form of martial art isn’t this what you are learning to defend against (this doesn’t mean that sporting arts don’t address self defence)?

Why did the Samurai develop Jujutsu? Why did the Shaolin monks develop their fighting skills? They did it for there self protection, the samurai for when they had lost their weapons on the battle field, and the monks for when they were attacked by bandits. Are we saying that these opposing military, or attacking bandits used rules when they attacked, or would not use some techniques because they were not fair? I’m sure some would be trained well and others not. How does this differ from a “street fight”? How does the attack of a Chinese bandit or bandits differ from that of a mugger? There is no difference in the concept or attitude of the attack, both will use whatever they can to beat you, both can use drugs to increase their ferocity, both will try to gain advantage by stealth, superior numbers, or placement of ambush.

I just don’t buy this whole street fighting is different, and martial arts don’t address a “real fight” statement. I think it is just a marketing theme developed by people that need something to sell their programs because they have no respected background of study.

17. Protein

Protein New Member

The problem is, that today instructors are not samurai or monks who have used the techniques in fights. Many techniques were invented after the Meiji-period and were never used on the battlefields. Some became useless, like the defence against wrist grabs. They were used when someone tried to prevent you from drawing your sword. How many of us carries a sword on the street nowadays? :D Some techniqes' (like the ones survived in katas) practical application were lost during the centuries. Some are made to kill or cripple and attacker, but that's not what you want on the street, or when working on the door. And there is another important thing: You can't experience the reality of fighting in the dojo. Having an experienced instructor helps a little bit, but you until trying, you don't know how you would react when attacked. Bandit's did not change, but MAs did. I practice ju jitsu, but not every part of it works. If you want to defend yourself(or others) you musn't be narrow minded. This is the real word and not a MA movie. Paractice, practice, practice and experience.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  18. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Sorry if i offended you dude. It just seems to be a strange mentality to me. Maybe, as you say, difference in culture or whatever. It seems logical to me that its best to avoid street fighting at all costs because you cant 'win' a street fight. If you do get in one (which is possible dispite your best efforts), then i think the best thing to do is get out of it. Should this not be your primary objective? Run away...hurt them then run away etc.

I think you should preempt it to a certain extent...make a decission. At the moment that you believe a fight is inevitable, act first. Be passive and submissive up until that point, dont be a threat...

[maybe say something to confuse them for a split second - verbal self defence]

Then instantaneously hurt them. Hit the weak targets, hit their knees so they can chase you whatever. I think this would have a powerful phsycological effect on them, maybe even more so than the physical trauma.

What do you think?

Im not saying that streetfighting can always be avoided...but i think its an unhealthy attatude to think that it can be won somehow.

To me this is the only way to 'win' a fight like this, since they could do anything.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  19. rtkd-badger

:bang:

Steet fighting is different for the simple fact that you dont know how many people you will end up having to fight. One or two people may challenge you and back you into a corner where you have to defend yourself and yeah you think too yourself i can handle this but it may not end there. Have you ever had to defend yourself against 6 men kicking the **** out of you? Starts with 1 or 2 then when you get the better of them the mates jump in. I mean in a real life situation. Not in a Dojo, no controlled enviroment. I have sir.

20. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

A lot of the time, unfortunately, no. You are learning to practice technique against a compliant partner, at your own pace, at a rythmn you don't even notice your doing in an entirely safe and secure environment. This will leave you poorly prepare for, dare I say it, Da Str33t5.

Col