Straps or hooks?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Nachi, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

So I have just done two crossfit classes with lots of toes to bars and a coach who actually tried to figure out how to help me not fall off the bar all the time. My hands are small, my gloves are thick, but with or without them, I lose grip almost immediately. In my frustration I told the coach that he'd just have to tie me to the bar if I am to actually do something there. I tried this with more coaches, but to my surprise, this one actually went and did! With weightlifting straps. In the second class, he again told me to get a pair as my efforts to learn the exercise were pointless like this. And that is probably true. Now I have searched which ones to get, but... apart from the usual straps, I also found hooks! I will probably ask the coach next time if that is better, since strapping myself to the bar would probably take some (precious) time during workouts and I am not sure if I'll be able to tie them hard enough. Anyone got experience with hooks? They seem pretty simple to use, although I've now idea how well they work and if they are the thing I want. Any suggestions? ^^

2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I use straps to the heavier, or higher volume end of deadlifts, mostly as in trying to avoid switch grip.
    I'll add them when it gets to a point that my grip is going towards the end of a set, I'll put them on for the next set.

What exercises would you use it for?

Hooks I haven't used, so I couldn't comment on those vs straps

Nachi likes this.
  3. Nachi

I see. I suppose that is how they are usually used. I don't get to deadlift heavy very often. I only went for max like... twice, so...
    But I need something to help me not lose my grip on the horizontal bar shen swinging and trying to get my toes up, potentially also to learn the kipping pull-ups. So I would need something that would hold my weight and I could, hopefully without spending five minutes on it, tie myself with to the bar :D So hooks, when I just discovered them... seem like a pretty cool thing to try. But I have no idea how comfortable they are to use - if I can still have my grip over them - and if they won't fall off the bar when I swing a little (but I would think they won't ?).

4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I don't think you can use lifting straps for horizontal bar, I think trying to wrap it would be impractical.

I've seen the hand wraps they use in gymnastics, maybe that would be more suitable?

5. Nachi

That is exactly my concern. :/

No, those don't help (much). I am really terrible atbeing able to hold myself up there. I tried and was also told to get something to hold me up there :D I have something like this, but too thick, so it gets even worse. Last class the instructor tied me to the bar with the lifting straps and it was cool :D But I don't know if I could do that without help. :/ The hooks, though! :D

6. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

Realistically if your grip is not strong enough to hold yourself on the bar, you should be training your grip strength rather than using straps or hooks. Things like dead-hangs (just hanging from the bar), farmer's walks, deadlifts, and any other pulling-motion weight exercise will help you. You could also look into using resistance bands to help support you while doing pull-ups or toes-to-bars.

Also try using chalk if you find you're slipping off.

Fish Of Doom, Frodocious and Nachi like this.
  7. Nachi

You are right, of course. While it is true that I know for a long time that my grip is weak, I haven't specifically focused on strenghtening it. However, just by doing crossfit, I think I did train it a bit, but honestly I am seeing no improvement at all with this :(
    As for dead hangs, last time I tried, I think I was able to stay on the bar nearly if not the longest of our group (if my grip isn't yet tired, if it is, it is quite a struggle :D). Farmers walk, though and stuff like toes to bars I struggle with. I don't do many deadlifts, but they were ok until over my bodyweight, I think.
    When doing pull-ups I do use those bands (as I can't pull myself out, disregarding the grip strenght :D), but for toes to bars... I don't even know how to?

I never learned the crossfity kipping, partly also because of this. It was much easier when we practised just the motion on the rings, for example. And I find it harder to do (technically) with a resistance band.
    But for toes to bars or anything similar, it is a downright struggle for me. And my grip "strenght" is preventing me from learning even the technique properly :( Once up and hanging, or when I tried the straps, I could hang there for a bit, which was nice, but couldn't do the kipping properly as I already have bad habits, worrying I'll just slip. I guess if you have short fingers and move them a bit as you swing or whatever, it gets really hard (maybe that is an excuse, but my grip is still preventing me from practising stuff). Chalk only works to a degree and I think it just shortens the time necessary to tear my caluses. :/ And I get them on the palms as well as on the fingers then.
    I don't think I have anything to lose with straps or hooks. Do I?

8. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

If using hooks and straps is the only way you can perform the exercise properly then definitely still use them when you need to, just work on your grip strength on the side! It's always better to perform an assisted exercise, than to not do it at all.

9. Shmook

Shmook Valued Member

This. To me, if you can't grip long enough, train the grip. Using straps or hooks is a quick fix to me, and not a long term option.

Not trying to hate, just how I would go about things. And I realise I'm not an authority on the subject, just someone who uses calisthenics/strength training for the whole body

Nachi likes this.
  10. Nachi

I know, I agree, too, but... just as I wrote above, I made no progress in over a year despite trying things like this and stuff on the horizontal bar, too. :(

This is what one of the coaches advised to me. If I can't do something I have to try ways how to do it. With something helping me hold up there, I could at least learn the technique. Kind of like trying to approach the exercise from another side.
    I am aware this is not how it should be done, I appreciate your advise, but I am going to do it anyway, sorry :D
    I may try to look into how to strenghten my grip at home (there is not much spare gym time aside from classes fo me, so I probably just wouldn't go there do deadlifts and stuff on my own. I could do an exercise or two after the class finishes, but honestly, I am pretty dead by that time... I was thinking about getting those grip strenghtening, things, but I am in a doubt if they'd help.

Shmook likes this.
  11. Shmook

Shmook Valued Member

No worries, I was just offering a different thought process.

I wasn't saying 'my' way is correct!

Nachi likes this.
  12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Have you got a climbing wall near you? Climbing is crazy good for grip strength.

axelb likes this.
  13. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Here's a video showing how good climbing is for grip strength:

axelb and Nachi like this.
  14. Nachi

But I do agree, it makes sense, of course, but... I have just given up on waiting for that. I can try to learn techniques and work the rest of my body while trying to increase the grip strenght :)

Hmmm, I think only the small one for kids :D Which, admittedly, is probably high enough for me, but... I tried climbing once and wasn't very good at it, nor was it my cup of tea. Partly also because I wasn't good at it and... I remember it being quite hard on the fingers XD ... which is exactly your point, haha :D
    Other than the kids wall, though, I don't really want to go to a gym where they have these climbing walls. I'd rather go to crossfit more often, but... I simply don't have time for any more trainings :( ... i will have a hard time finding time for all the trainings I'd like to make it to, actually. So my priority goes there.

But it is a good point! I never thought of that :ยจ)

Shmook likes this.