Strange Or Normal Thoughts ?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Grizzlygrime, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Grizzlygrime

Grizzlygrime New Member

I was just wondering if anyone has thoughts like me regarding there MA ?

Examples :

sometimes when im in a bar/pub and there is a guy going out of his way to please don't swear people off, looking tough , trying to intimadate people : i start to think/wish this guy would pull that I thought I told you not to swear on me just so i can bust him up is this normal or im just getting cocky with the training im doing ?

or when im in the Bullring shopping mall in Birmingham , and there is a group of young hoodlums giving people grief , why do i feel the need to bust them up ?

let me know your opinons.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2005
  2. hux

hux ya, whatever.

they are normal feelings, I guess. It's the alpha male thing. Acting on them wouldn't be wise, prolly. Going around creating your own self defense scenarios wouldn't be such a grand idea IMO.

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Yeah every male probably has violent fantasies. There is nothing wrong with it.

4. Martial One

Martial One Martial Way student

it's normal, just don't act on it or anything. I mean in the sense of "busting" them up, there are ways of fighting without fighting, :bang: use your head.

5. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

very normal thoughts as a young guy.

i had them alot....and from time to time acted on them.

now as an old guy my thoughts are. please dont comeover here.......and if you do please accept the fact that i want to walk away.......you can be a big tough guy.the last thing i need is to get arrested over some dumb ass

6. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Thinking it is one, acting on it is another...

7. TJUJITSU

TJUJITSU New Member

I have those thoughts all the time, but honestly I just come back to reality and think. If I acted on these thoughts , I may regret it. Even if i win. I hate the idea of hurting people. Self defense should be only used in Self defense situations. Cant go around being superman lol. even though every guy has these feeling about wanting to bust somebody up from time to time. like at work the other day there is this co worker everyone hates and i was like yeah you do that.... one more time ( i forget what he did probably just made me mad) i will kick your Ass. well In reality I probably would go out of my way to not hurt him before having to lay a hand on him. there is a difference between acting on these and thinking them. this is all completely normal. and im jerry springer and this is my final thought :D

8. baubin2

baubin2 New Member

When I started I wished for a chance to show off my MA, now I hope I'm never forced to. But yeah, that's normal, just don't do anything dumb.

9. Rochambo83

Rochambo83 Martial Artist

Just ignore it unless they come up to you with a direct challenge. Even then try to calm em down with a joke or somethin. As soon as you KNOW you are in danger open a can on their ass and don't look back. To me martial arts is about protecting myself and my loved ones when I am in danger, and also about getting in better shape. But make sure you really need to act before you unleash your skills. :Alien:

10. Vexed

Vexed New Member

Your thoughts are completely normal. I study CMA, but even before I studied anything, I had thoughts like yours. As other people have said, do not act on these thoughts, unless of course you need to, say for self protection, protection of others, or people that you care about.

I had a lot of thoughts in my more younger days, and am thankful that to a majority of them I did not act out those thoughts. i.e - I started going to a club and doing pistol shooting on the range about 25 metres to the target, it felt great to have a gun in your hand for the first time, but let me tell you, I had a strange thought whilst I was holding that gun - I looked at the people lined up to me left and to the right and thought, what would happen if I directed that weapon at another person and pulled the trigger. strange thought, right on, did I do it, no way, but I did still think it - I have since boiled it down to the fact that it was new to me, the power, the fact that I was way out of my comfort zone, and that I did not feel safe with the other 15 or so people with guns around me, some guns much bigger than what I was packing, nor for the thoughts that may have been going through their minds.
    I survived and so did everyone else

V

11. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

Forget bout it, best thing is to leave it as it is... if you're at a bar/pub with mates just enjoy it, have a drink and a laugh. There's people like that EVERYWHERE, not just a bar's and pubs... when he actually walks up to you and starts trouble then deal with it, till then just kick back and have a good time.

12. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

I was once told by a psychologist who worked in London, about how frequently people would tell him about fantasies of pushing the person stood next to them onto the tracks as the train pulled in on the underground. I've always made a point of standing well back on the platform ever since.

We evolved as a species of pack hunting predators, and you really don't have to scrape too far below the surface to see that it's all there and in tact, including the potential for brutal violence.

Get a play station, go play GTA - San Andreas and work through it that way like the rest of us.

13. gcarson

gcarson New Member

I see these types of guys all the time and just laugh my butt off. You have to see the desperate weakness (mental) involved for these people to need to try to show themselves as tough. I think most guys who train get into either that provoking mindstate or the reactionary one that you described.

I knew guys who would try to 'find' situations that they could 'help'. Normally, if they didn't grow out of it, they quit training. After all, if your head gets too big, training becomes too risky for your already strained neck muscles.

I agree with most everyone else. Mind your business unless someone is being victimized and are not able to help themselves. Then, as any good human being should, intervene. If you rise to the bait of the tough guy or the punk kids, you've lost before it starts.

14. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I was reading a book from the late 1500s the other day and it described the "desire to show off all you have learned" as a mental disease of martial artists. I got 2 things from that:

(1) the desire to show off is not healthy
    (2) the desire to show off is normal.

15. seiki juku kid

seiki juku kid New Member

and the alpha female thing too!!