Stomping and Slaping

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Shou Tu, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Can someone please explain why every demo or video i see of Kenpo there is the stomping of the foot when they do a strike. and upon the return it sounds and looks like they are slapping the Gi top for sound effects.

it to me looks like alot of wasted motion.

Salute,

2. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

got any examples? Try Larry Tatum clip of the week archives... pick one and lets discuss it. Maybe it's not the person making the stomping noise who you think is making it? Get an example...

As far as slapping goes... could be a lot of things: in Kenpo, not every blow is supposed to be a killer heavy strike. Sometimes they are setup for the next strike or something else. Sometimes in practice what is designed as a heavy blow is practiced as a slap for the safety of the uke. Sometimes the sound quality of internet video clips is crap.

but anyway watching clips on the internet can in NO WAY inform you about what receiving a kenpo combo is really like - sound, look, or feel.

but find an example and lets look at it... otherwsie it wil be impossible to have a decent discussion.

3. Indestructible

Indestructible New Member

4. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

thats where i saw the clips of the week is HIGH FIVE, He chops to the throat then brings his hand back and slaps his own shoulder. there were a couple others that i saw that while he was striking he would stomp his foot. I asked this question because I have seen it in Larry Tatum's clips and the Mills Clips.
    Is the stomping for dramatic reasons, its done right at the point of impact. then he brings his hand back and slaps his own Gi. I dont get slapped by my shifu when he downplays a strike its the strike he intended to execute but he just doesnt put everything behind it(it still stings). Its an honest question that i felt i needed to ask for the sake of someone might be able to answer it here on the Kenpo forum. It intriqued me since i have not seen it except on the Kenpo clips.

Salute,

Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  5. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

the clip is sped up, I would say that he used to much of his own weight to throw the attacker(totally off centerline), as well the strike to the neck wasnt a strike it was a headlock to be able to throw the attacker. I might not be seeing what your seeing but thats my opinion on the clip.

Salute,

6. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I see what you mean, I see him slapping his leg with his left hand as he strikes with the right, and I have no idea why he is doing that.

7. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I see what you mean, I see him slapping his leg with his left hand as he strikes with the right, and I have no idea why he is doing that. I know of some guys who are pretty close with him on another board, i will ask them :)

8. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Thank you, let me know what you find out.

salute,

9. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

I couldn't tell if it was a headlock or what. But to me it looked powerless. The strike to the neck was out of his center, almost completely on his side. That wouldn't put someone to sleep. But again, the speed of the clip makes it hard to tell.

10. Indestructible

Well now, thats some of the same complaints we hear about our own demos! My point being, even though its different from what we do, its not that weird slapping stuff I've seen in some kenpo demos. He struck the neck out of center, but you can still make it work on most people doing that, then he grabs hold and muscles the throw, instead of letting the bodywieght do the work for him. He still has decent footwork, which you don't see in too many places.

11. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I wasn't looking at the throw clip, I was looking at Larry Tatum's TOW for High Five.

12. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

It's called "grounding", and a Kenpo buddy of mine says it is used to help transfer force.

13. Indestructible

Do you mean the slaps and stomps or one or the other?

14. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

True on the footwork

15. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Those are the clips i was looking at too.

16. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

"Do you mean the slaps and stomps or one or the other?"

Both. I would think it would take away from the power, but I don't do Kenpo. I suppose the noise from the slap could cause an opponent to think he is taking more damage than he actually is, so it could be psychological warfare.

Or just showing off.

17. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

We are taught weapon before body, but it sounds and looks like what i have seen is weapon and body are moving at the same time in the clips. Its something that made me go ???? when i saw it thats why I asked.

TOTW on Ltatum site grasping eagles, he does the stomping after he struck the bad guys, it happens in the middle of the clip, that doesnt look like grounding like previously stated.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2004
  18. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

http://www.ltatum.com/familytree.html

Ok the link Indy posted sent us to a site owned by Rick Jeffcoat, which in the site claims to have studied directly under Ed Parker until his 6th degree. On Ltatum's site his family tree states that Rick Jeffcoat is one of his blackbelts?? Just observation.

19. Clyde

Clyde New Member

Rick did not study with Ed Parker, his entire tenure was with Larry Tatum, I know, I trained with Rick. I asked him about this issue with his website myself and he told me one of his students typed it up for him, he just never looked at it until it was on the site. He asked the student to change it but she never did for some reason. The site hasn't been updated in years so don't take too much from it, he's still looking for someone to redo his website tho.

BTW, Rick is one bad MOFO, trust me.

Clyde

20. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

See that is what i like to see, someone coming on and clarifying that is it a mistake and that there is no lineage with whomever. Thats awesome. Never doubted his ability just why the confusion on the lineage.

Thank you again for Clarfying.