Stick vs. Hammer

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Pitfighter, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

lol... obviously a crack/stupidity fueled robbery... analysis as follows:

1) perpetrator was not wearing proper footwear for a robbery or spear/staff technique
    as evidenced by the fluffy Elephant house slippers

2) he has either very poor or very little training in any type of spear/staff technique as he was entirely clueless how to deal with a long range weapon vs a short range weapon

3) further to that point he attempted to employ a long range weapon in a decidedly short range environment

4) he closed his own distance down making his own weapon useless

The shop keeper was obviously scared and could have easily closed the gap and smashed this monkey in the face with a hammer. Always satisfying I reckon. But he didn't he got manhandled and got lucky he didn't get hurt.

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Slip,

According to local news, those weren't fluffy slippers, they were plastic bags over the shoes. The robber also wore white gloves and covered his face. Also a staff is not a long range only weapon, it is whatever range you want it to be depending on where your hands are.

The store keeper was punched a few times in the face and sustained an injury to his shoulder. He couldn't lift his arm later when the news reporter came that night to interview him.

As for how skilled the robber was... IMHO, hard to tell but I would suspect that with a criminal mindset, the robber had practiced using the stick. Didn't make any amateur mistakes like hitting against the counter or the ceiling unintentionally.

4. ROBER-E

ROBER-E Valued Member

that was weak he could of brought that big stick down on his head easily,it kinda looks like they were both scared to hit.i think he was planning on intimidating him with the big stick and thinking he would just hand the money over.

5. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

The shopkeeper would have been better off defending with the chair. He wasn't going to do block with that hammer.

Throwing the hammer would have been a better idea, but it would require a follow-up, and let's face it, this was a scared guy with no training.

6. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

He could have hit the robber on the foot when he was climbing over the counter. Right on top of the arch with a hammer is a stopper.

7. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Sadly, or amusingly, this too place literally 30 min. drive from where I live.

8. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Here's my input:
    (Ignoring any irrationalities I would venture into, given real life situation, adrenalin, etc)

If I were the shop-keeper, I would try to stall, just like he did in the beginning. But I would use doubble grip in the hammer to parry, not single-grip which cannot deflect, and never stop the incoming stick.

If the enemy tries to cross the counter, I'd use as a defensive-zone, closing in to push him back, or use the hammer on his knee/wrist, depending on wether I wanted to escalate the situation.

I'm not sure what happens in the takedown-part, it seems as if the shopkeeper is paralyzed or significantly weaker/more unskilled in "close play" than the attacker, beeing on the floor behind a counter is the worst place to bee there, the attacker could just take his hammer and pommel him at that range...

If the attacker got over the counter, I would try to do what the robber does to the shop-keeper in this setting; using the hammer in a doubble-grip to get past the stick, then do a takedown, trying to stay on top, waiting for the police.

If I was the robber, I would wonder what the *** I was doing, robbing a shop???

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Where did this happen then, Pitfighter? You're in my area.

11. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Manassas