Stick it to me

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Clumsy Ninja, May 16, 2003.

1. Clumsy Ninja

Clumsy Ninja New Member

Last week my Kung Fu instructor brought a Kali instructor (from out of state) to class who worked with us for an hour. Unfortunately an hour is all she had time for. She taught us the 5 angles of attack with single stick and the 6 count with two sticks. Due to lack of time it was a fast and furious class and did not cover footwork etc.

I spoke to her about videos I could buy to continue training and she recommended the Nate Defensor series. Has anyone viewed these videos and if so what did you think? What videos would you recommend?

I am looking for videos to assist me with the very basic skills. I do not have an instructor to work with (none in this area) and I don’t want to "teach myself" poor technique and bad habits. I mainly want to work on the 5 angles of attack and the 6 count. I would also like to learn at least some basic footwork. I read the archive post from Yoda (triangle drills) and think I understand it, but would really like to actually see it being done.

Again my main focus right now is my Kung Fu, but I would like to “toy” with the Kali a little on the side. I am not looking to become a black belt by video, just proficient with some basic stick swinging.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi

If you email or PM me I'll send you a ton of stuff you can work on :D

3. Clumsy Ninja

Clumsy Ninja New Member

Thanks Yoda.

I sent you a pm and included my email if you rather use that.

4. YODA

Cool - "Stuff" on it's way :D

5. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Where in Kentucky are you?

Mike

6. Clumsy Ninja

Clumsy Ninja New Member

I am in E-Town, but I drive to Louisville for my Kung Fu classes.

I just checked out your web site. I hadn't seen it before.

We need to talk :D

I see ALOT of stuff on there that I am interested in.

7. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Cool :)

PM me, email me, or call me (all that info is here or on my website).

I've got a pretty flexible schedule. Even if you can't make it class, let me know when you'll be in town and maybe we can hook up for dinner or something.

Mike

8. moromoro

moromoro New Member

well you cant be a black belt by video.

man go to a good instructor mike there in kentucky.

And one final question who was this female instructor?? what style was she from..?

thanks

terry

9. YODA

Sadly - you probably can.

10. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

"well you cant be a black belt by video"

Sure you can. Heck, you can even get your BB from eBay.

Seriously, try and make it to Mike's. You've got the right idea, and a few hours a week or month with Mike can't hurt.

11. YODA

Good advice :D

Also - to get actually fighting with a stick into perspective - go to the lonk below and download ALL the free video clips.

Dog Brothers

12. stump

stump Supersub

The lonk?????

;)

13. YODA

Yos - the lonk :D

14. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Man ... I know you Brits have some strange accents floating around over there, but wow ... that's a heavy one your fingers have there, Yoda :)

Mike

15. Clumsy Ninja

Clumsy Ninja New Member

Yes I have started training with Mike and am now his newest "dead student" :(

BTW Mike, sorry I din't make it to silat class last night, I forgot my son had soccer practice and my wife was sick so I had to take him. I will be there Tuesday with bells on though :D

16. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

LOL ... a bit of explanation is probably in order. When I started training in Silat, one of the things that struck me was the difference in mindset between the Indonesian arts and the Japanese/Okinawan arts that I had previously trained in. This difference was most evident in some of the terminology.

In Japanese/Okinawan, they use the term "uke" which means (roughly translated) "receiver." Which is an accurate term. But it's kind of "nice." Rather "politically correct."

In Silat, I've heard 2 terms used. One is "murid mati" which means "dead student" and the other is "sujit" which means "prop."

In America, though, many of us have backgrounds in Japanese/Okinawan arts and still use the term "uke" ... but this difference in terminology struck me as an interesting indication of the difference in mindsets :)

Not a problem :) Looking forward to seeing you Tuesday.

Mike