Steven Erikson

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anomandaris, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Anomandaris

Anomandaris New Member

Has anyone read Any of Steven Eriksons books?

if not and epic fantasy is your taste then check out his Malazan Books of the Fallen Series.

They are without a doubt the single greatest fantasy series ever written(yes better than LOTR, George RR Martin etc) it is worth noting they are long and slow to get going as well as convoluted as characters plot lines intertwine, cross, meet, depart etc.

But once things get going things really heat up. Another nice thing is that he (and Cameron Esslemont I believe) spent a very long time making up a rich fantasy world that is different from pretty much every other fantasy I have read(and I have read a lot!), what is also nice is that most things seem unique, his magic system, his pantheon, history etc.

He used to be an Archeologist(dealing especially with the development of cultures!) so his histories are exceptionally in depth and play a very important role in his stories, his characters and races are well fleshed out with both myths, legends, histories and modern events.

if you are interested but dont want to jump in at the deep end and start with one of his larger books(Gardens of the Moon(1), Deadhouse Gates(2), Memories of Ice(3), House of Chains(4), Midnight Tides(5)) ten try the far shoorter but slightly different genre The Healthy Dead, rather than epic fantay The Healthy dead is a Fantasy/Comedy