Steve Morris says all forms of Karate are useless

Discussion in 'Karate' started by ronki23, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

No better way to help ensure continued good health for you and your household than by earning a few million in the UFC to serve as a buffer against the vagaries of life.
    Afterall if it's just unskilled brawlers playing a 'game' they should be fairly easy to beat and a traditional karateka kicking butt and taking names would be very marketable.

Dead_pool likes this.
  2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Could you lend me your time machine ? I’d love to go back to the 90s and make some different decisions ..........

Dead_pool and Smitfire like this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Well your house would never survive on Kronos..... tenor (24).gif

Mitch likes this.
  4. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

Sure millions stop murderers and theives from doing anything wrong to you.

And, yes it's just a glorified slugfest and that is always popular.

5. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

Wouldn't do you a bit of good...if you just continued in sports.

6. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

Sure it would, there are no rulesets for combat on Kronos.

7. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

But, as soon as you see a convo going in this direction...you realize you are dealing with Fanboys...

Have a great day.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Millions can get you good security, good health care, good quality of life, less stress, good education and prospects for your kids, etc.

Self defence and keeping you and yours safe from harm goes far beyond murderers and thieves picking you as a target.

9. bassai

Please , don’t assume to know me , I consider myself a traditional Shotokan karateka , however , claims that “sports karate” aren’t the real or that training without rules somehow make you some kind of superhuman are just plain wrong.
    There are plenty of people using kata in an effective manner. , Iian Abernathy and John Titchen come to mind , that do so without spouting that outdated nonsense.

Monkey_Magic and Smitfire like this.
  10. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

Really, in actual combat or competition? With the safety of rulesets...

Look no matter how many times you folks say it, rulesets do not make for real combat...to think that is just ignorance at its finest. If you are playing in the field of sports with rulesets, that is great...but pretending that it is reality...is just a blatant lie. And one that has been perpatrated far to long.

It's great that these two guys use kata in competition...but still, I am sure there are movements that are banned by that organization...not deadly secret (that is a scam) techniques mind you, but I am sure they are banned.

When did you start shotokan? What year? A lot of things changed in Karate and was simply discarded for tournament...if you started your training in the 80's, you would have witnessed this change...entire forms changed for the wows of the spectators.

Strikes and the location where you can hit changed. More rules were applied and things changed...there is no denying that.

The katas seen today, were themselves altered from the original versions for competition. Shotokan started that long ago...this is why Ginchin stated that it is not the karate from his days.

Even he seen it, your own founder. It must have been outdated nonsense then as well.

And, training without rulesets...is exactly what one should be doing...unless their objective is competition.

Nothing I do makes me superhuman. But it does prepare me for reality. You know real life scenarios where my life might be in danger.

Sport is what it is, sport!

11. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

Self-defense...another word with a million meanings. Yeah...it has to do with a lot of things..but you...you brought up the millionaire b.s.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Where was that said then?
    I guarantee you no one with any time here would state such a thing.

13. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

It amazes me that people get insulted, when some defends Kata and non sport karate...but the whole time they insult everything that doesn't agree with the safety of sport...great, you love the sport of it...but sport is an incidental result of reality.

What you spend most of your time doing and how you train, is up to you. But leave it where it belongs.

14. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I don't like UFC at all.

But to say the people who fight in it display a lack of skill belies a naiveté about fighting. I'd be interested to know how many times you've got the better of high level combat sport athletes, and what your go-to "no rules" moves against them are that they cannot defend.

Monkey_Magic and Dead_pool like this.
  15. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

Problem is, they will want to do it based around safety. So, what would it prove..that a fighter knows and fights according to the rules better. High level sport fighters are just that, sport fighters.

I would like to know, if any of these 'High level Sport Fighters' have actually defended themselves in a real life dangerous scenerio. That would be great to see.

But rulesets are not the topic here...kata is.

16. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

My bad, another forum.

17. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Ah, so you're too dangerous for them! :p

I don't know what there is to say about kata really, because you've put such a big umbrella over what constitutes kata that it becomes kind of meaningless to discuss it.

18. bassai

For what it’s worth , I started in the 90s , but , I have trained with someone (Kanazawa) who did actually train with Funakoshi, along with some other senior Shotokan karateka.
    Your views seem , to me , short sighted and out of date , and claiming to train with no rules is pretty much always shown to be false as all training has rules , if you train properly without rules on a regular basis you would be retired after one session.

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

For sport. Yes they are outdated...but then again I do not do sport.

Great discussion everyone, but really..I got to go. I'll get back on later.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You've jumped to some massive and erroneous assumptions about all sorts of things.

I consider myself a defender of kata too (having run the full gamut in the past of being anti-kata and back again).

I still do kata and find value in them. But you have to use them in the right way to find that value. Hoping to get an instructor grade with Iain Abernethy some time next year that's all about finding that value.

I'm also a proponent of the 'martial map' idea and not mixing up training for one thing (sport perhaps) as also being training for another (those murderer and thief infested streets you live on maybe?).

Kata is not shadow boxing. The one massive reason being that kata were put together by someone else (or group of someone else's) rather than the individual. Shadow boxing is individually created. Your shadow boxing won't look like my shadow boxing (although they may share techniques or other similarities). You'll pivot when I would punch, zig when I would zag, you may be a hooking infighter and me a jabbing outfighter, etc etc.

By constrast my tensho will look much the same as your tensho (provided we shared a similar lineage).

Monkey_Magic and Dead_pool like this.