Steve Morris article on karate and fascism

Discussion in 'Karate' started by mani, May 14, 2005.

1. ALPHADEANO

ALPHADEANO U knows it Clart

Actually I do know but am too tired to explain.
    Another time.
    All the best

2. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

When you feel like explaining read my reply earlier as it will make sense.

3. ALPHADEANO

ALPHADEANO U knows it Clart

Yes basically what I was trying to say is :) that, there is more than one way.
    And you have to follow the way that is correct for you.
    If you dont like a regime of cleaning the training hall ect, dont train with them.

All the best!

4. Sonshu

If you are the club cleaner then you are being taken advantage of.

5. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

Is this still dragging on just because its not the way you do things it does not mean its wrong there are plenty of clubs that are run this way with no problems what so ever. As has been all ready said if people dont wish to do these tasks they know where the door is. Its not being taken advantage of its the way it is. I have cleaned more than a few Dojo floors i cannot see what the problem is. Im sure you check your mats are clean and are not damaged. I had this chat with TB earlier you like things done your way but yours is not the only way. Thats the way of martial arts we all have different ideas on how to reach a goal yours is no more right than any one else`s.

6. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Oh for christ's sake, people on this site just don't read properly. I give up.

7. Sonshu

In modern arts the instructor takes the task of ensuring equip is ok to use and safe as he is supposed to be the one in charge or at least its his insurance.

8. zenbaseballbat

zenbaseballbat New Member

hi,
    Back to steve morris...i trained with him for a while while i was studying in the uk, only about 6 months or so I think. Its true he doesnt suffer fools gladly, but he really knows his stuff. He is a driven guy, and is able to break stuff down into its components and biomechanics unlike anyone ive ever met.

I had studied a few years of karate, and a few years of silat as well as a bit of kickboxing. He was way over my head, what i had learnt previously was rubbish, and he opened my eyes to training methods and principles; although I must say i was not of a competent level enough to grasp it fully. I stopped training following a car crash (actually on the way to train), and later moved to the US. What i remember really well about him was that he always adapts, evaluates, and improves his methods....he's always researching and growing.

He was teaching wrestling to his students at a technically good level, much better than a lot of MMA were demonstrating in competitions that i saw in the UK. I remember that i learnt to double the power of my front kick in a few minutes of him showing how to improve it.

I think he runs seminars now, but im not 100% sure.

Like him or hate him, he's a phenominal martial artist! Personally I found him a very interesting, intelligent and funny guy, but I wouldnt want to be on the wrong side of him.

9. Sonshu

So even your kickboxing was rubbish?

10. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

You didn't know rubbish kickboxing existed?

11. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

steve morris is a phenemenal martial artist of the type that only appears once in a great while... but there are many different paths that all go up the same mountain - or, if you prefer, theres more than one way to skin a cat

12. Sonshu

I can honestly say I have never been to a bad kickboxing class in 14 years (not counting cardio kickboxing).

I have however been to plenty of shoddy TKD, and Karate schools passing themselves off as Kickboxing. However as soon as I arrived the belts and gi's /tkd outfits gave it away.

Nope never a bad kickboxing school.

13. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

funny, cause personally i have never been to a kickboxing class that i thought wasn't rubbish (not including MT of course) :D

14. Sonshu

Which ones have you been to then - please share or have you been to 1 club.

One reason why kickboxing works is its simple.

15. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

So the bad ones cease to be "kickboxing" on account of them being bad? I could just as easily say plenty of crappy kickboxing schools try to pass themselves off as TMAs by wearing gis.

16. Sonshu

Well tell me then which ones - anyone any bad Kickboxing Schools.

A few decades ago the trend was many Karate Instructors started claiming they were kickboxing schools and in reality it was Kickboxing.

No crap is still crap but I have to date not been to what I class as a kickboxing gym where there is a huge emphasis on drill and focus mit work and sparring. There is no learning Japanese or Korean etc and the focus is on the Kickboxing competition rules.

This is Kickboxing

17. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

equally sonshu, do you not feel, if you are a kickboxer, that you will seek out the good ones... of course you do, if i am looking for a club in a style that i know about, i try and find the best ones... i cannot, unfortunately tell you the names of the kickboxing clubs that i went to... i didn't go back to them, but there has been a few... i don't see why you are getting bent out of shape over this, of course there are crappy kickboxing clubs, just as i know that even thoughi havent been to one, there are many very good clubs, in fact there is a place around the corner from my work at the moment, the guy started Ma in kickboxing 2 years ago and he is now a kickboxing instructor! not a chance i am gonna go there, but i bet if i did it would be crap, 1 dimensional... i am sure i could get a good work out, but that is about the limit of it...

18. Sonshu

Not at all it could well be very good as 2 years good training is better than 6 years poor training.

If a club competes then it will be of a good standing, there are a lot of clubs who claim to teach Kickboxing but it is plainly not a proper kickboxing club with competing fighters will be good.

Kickboxing is not aimed at self defence it is a combat sport which happens to often be applicable. If its a self defence club that claims kickboxing then that is not kickboxing.

2 years he could be a good fighter. Taking one of my guys Chris who posts here as Randall - for 6-8 months training I am confident he can defend himself and he has assisted me on some teaching as I encorage all my class to do bits after they have been there.

I was watching a Karate Class last night and I would have put money on Chris taking anyone out in the class (8 out of 12 were dan grade). Simply because he trained for a different purpose.

6-8 months and Chris has stuff to teach to people so dismissing a 2 year guy is for my money the wrong attitude.

19. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

it is a difficult issue i admit, and perhaps i was slightly provocative, to get a response, but my point was simply that you seem to be suggesting, without exception, that there is no such thing as a bad kickboxing club... I fully admit that there are many, many many truly terrible karate clubs, so much so that i wish they were not called karate (and indeed many of them I do not class as karate personally), but be that as it may, they call themselves karate, just as what you may not consider a kickboxing club, calls itself one... thus degrading a name that you hold in esteem... i have been to some bad clubs, they do exist, no matter how much you wish they didn't

20. Sonshu

It is not a case of wish they did not - my point is the name does not make it what it is.

What it is and what it does defines it.

Kickboxing anyone with an ounce of generic martial arts experience will know kickboxing is a sporting art and does not define itself as a self defence art but this is a by product of good training. As said its a combat sport and anyone serious about training will know and spot this when they arrive or after a few weeks when you start researching your art as you get into it. Experienced people will spot a herring immediatly.