Static & Dynamic Stretching

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jeffrey Smith, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Jeffrey Smith

Jeffrey Smith New Member

So from what I've read over the past few days in various places, dynamic stretching is good before a workout or routine where your muscles will be used, and static stretching is good after the workout. So how do the two work together?

I ask because in a lot of my martial arts classes in the past, a lot of emphasis has been placed on static stretching to achieve things like the splits for Tae Kwon Do kicking and what not. Dynamic stretches were done before class, but the true gains in flexibility seemed to come from the static stretching.

Can anyone give me a little more detail on how dynamic stretching can be utilized to do the same things?

2. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Has anyone stoped static stretching? I do soft tissue and mobility exercises (especially thorasic and ankle mobility) for warmups and through out the day. Instead of doing stretches for the pecs and latts I do rotator cuff exercises and scapular wall slides.

3. TigerDude

TigerDude Valued Member

The gains will come from static stretching, but the dynamic stretching is what will allow you to kick high without stretching. Dynamic stretching does 2 things - it warms you up, and it trains your muscles that's it's ok to move that far. Static stretching will build your range of motion "ability." The two together are what will improve your martial art.

It sounds to me like your classes are doing exactly the right thing.

4. Jeffrey Smith

Jeffrey Smith New Member

Thanks for the reply!

Just wanted to make sure where I was going with all this, ;D