starting up martial arts with JKD

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by beat101, Feb 15, 2016.

1. beat101

beat101 New Member

Hi all this is my first time on here so id like to say its very nice to meet everybody :)

ive just started up martial arts again after some 20 years since my Taekwondo days and ive started with Steve Powells JKD in Manchester and im on my 3rd week and I love it !!!
    straight away we were told we part of a family and made to feel very warm and welcome. we was given an attendance card and soon will be applying for our licence.
    There were pictures of guest instructors that have taught at steves gym such as Rick Faye, Larry Hartsell and my favourite martial artist Rick Young :)
    So im in good hands :)

I've also just found an Atemi Jiu Jitsu Association club nearer to home to complement the JKD. The Jiu Jitsu has a great syllabus combined with self defence and more importantly live resistance, sparring & groundwork.
    The instructor has been incontact with myself the last few days and were both really excited about this journey of outward and inward development!

I have tried Krav Maga before the JKD and im not impressed with it 1 bit. it just seems to be bells and whistles and very little substance.
    I was shown 1 move and was told from here take him down with an arm lock. I have never done an arm lock in my life, i didnt know what to do where to hold or anything, in fact if anything it taught me that if i would have tried that in a real situation i would have got filled in.

But im happy with steve at the JKD and his syllabus is massive and im looking forward to the Kali Silat & Dumog (grappling) part of the curriculum!

p.s please mind my grammar my tumor has effected my reading and writing ... but its a non cancerous tumor so all is ok that respect, peace out everybody :) :) :)

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP!

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

you... I like you.

4. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Welcome to MAP :)

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Welcome! Steve has an excellent rep! You will do well witj him

7. Knee Rider

Out of interest do they spar at Steve's? The website says 'we practice with not on each other" and I've always found that a bit off putting.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I know two of my friends that came through Steve and they certainly sparred back then

9. Knee Rider

Yeah pretty much all the major MMA coaches in Manchester originated from Steve's gym way back when. The website gives the impression they only do pad work and drills though. I always thought it looked interesting a few years ago but was put off by that.

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Quick jump to the important bit

A) you have a non cancerous brain tumour? Is that right?
    B) if so you need to be careful about anything that'll make this worse
    C) before doing anything chokey, punchy or throwy, get cleared by your Dr/consultant first, and make sure you tell your Martial arts coaches.
    D) good luck!

11. beat101

beat101 New Member

Hi dead_pool thanks for the reply ... I have a non cancerous tumour on my balance nerve (probably should have made that a little clearer lol)
    it goes under 2 names an acoustic neuroma or vestabularv schwannoma both mean the same thing. I have had CT scans and its not grown, doesn't need surgery it just needs to be monitored. It causes me a few minor problems such as tinnitus, and makes me off balance if i use a lift and with regards to the martial arts .. i cant do break falls but can tolerate throws much better and spinning back kicks have to be done slow or else i become dizzy lol

But the best thing about it is the more im exposed to throws or having to do reverse kicks or punches then gradually overtime i will build up a tollerance to it. And both my jiu jitsu coach and steve are fine with this and have said its a totally go at your own pace :)

unlike the krav when I said i cant do it or i had to take my time doing drills i was told to hurry up and go again and again. I really wasn't happy there and will never touch krav maga again!

but my journey has started again on a good foot with steve and the JKD family and my soon to be jiu jitsu family :)

And a big thank you to everybody for the warm welcome ... cheers :)