starting private MT lessons friday

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Saved_in_Blood, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I had thought about dropping the CHKD, but if I could manage 1 lesson per week doing MT money wise... I'd like to keep doing it. I quit a lot of stuff as a kid and I really just want to at the very least get to my 1st Dan. At the very least I could maybe be an instructor and perhaps make a little money teaching it. Might as well get something back out of it... or, I could always bring MT over to my current dojo as well.

2. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

In this thread you mentioned there are 2 other students, and 3 instructors at your CHKD school - doesn't sound like there is a tremendous need for more instructors there to me!

Not to say that your idea of training in something, getting really good and making money as an instructor is a bad one - you just might need to do some thinking about which art to do that with.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

it's going to be a challenge to fit in with your other schedule. i found that i could only box or do eskrima sporadically with my main focus of grappling. since i've been in competition mode for the last year or so, everything but bjj has shifted to the back-burner. hoping to get back into the hitting and weapons work at some point, but i'm back in comp. mode for this winter.

the point of what i'm trying to tell you is that sometimes an "mma" or bjj gym that has a focus on competition will have boxing, muay thai maybe as part of the schedule. at least that way, if you can find a convenient place, maybe you can just go to one shop for all your needs.

something like this place, although from conversation, this might still be a bit far for you.

http://annapolismixedmartialarts.com/

4. Saved_in_Blood

I was told by a friend that was the 3x GG champ that there was a good instructor in Stevensville, but when I tried to get in touch with him I was just told... "he went to Denton". I have no idea if it was just a bad deal or what, but that is a BJJ school as well... the place they wanted to refer me to I've heard a lot of bad things about a teacher there and I want nothing to do with him.. and it's not just from 1 or 2 people, but multiple. There's no boxing there anyway, so I wouldn't be hard pressed to do it.

As long as I stay once a week doing the MT, I don't think it'll be that bad. Really it will just be a matter of an extra commute. I didn't commit to any long term thing anyway. I'm just trying it out this week and i'll see how it goes and if I like it a whole lot, I then might have to choose between one art or another.

5. Saved_in_Blood

It's not a huge part of what they do. I think that their biggest area right now is the TKD. A lot of people don't tend to stick with CHKD because you have to sort of suffer through all of the wrist grabs and such before you actually get to use those moves off of punches, kicks, knives, etc. They make sure you know quite well what you are doing before you are introduced to the above. Where I am, I have learned most of the core moves, now it just moves on to subtle little changes for each type of attack. Lapel grabs, bear hugs, head locks, punches, all of them are now coming up for me I believe in this belt they start.

6. Saved_in_Blood

Keep in mind to the above that I know most fights don't wind up with bear hugs, but each move is taught and then taught again from a different strike or grab, and then from two handed grabs, and then yet again from bear hugs, and is introduced to each of the moves in my above post, all the while adding VERY small changes to adapt to each type of attack, or it doesn't need to be changed at all... but the move is really driven into your head by the time you get high up in the belts, it does come to you much quicker than say it would now. This is why I feel like the system really is a good one contrary to what some may think they know of it.. or even had the unfortunately bad experience of a poor instructor.

7. Saved_in_Blood

Update:

Had my class tonight... I'm tired lol. It was fun though, he's basically starting me out from the ground up. He's more of a kickboxer than an actual thai instructor, but the basic punches and footwork were what we worked on. The stance is a bit different from the traditional boxing stance to be ready to throw leg kicks. We worked on the jab, stepping to the side and throwing the right hand. Did a lot of pad work. I've always said my footwork sucked and this confirmed it lol. Overall it was a lot of fun and a really good workout. He felt like I was picking it up pretty quick and just wants me to work on the footwork, the jab and then stepping to the side to throw the right hand or leg kick. I'm going to see if I can by chance work on some sort of package type thing for the month and maybe they can give me a discount or something... 1 night a week is a good workout, but I'd like to try to get 2 per week if possible.

8. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Good for you! Keep it up.

Mine as well. Its also the heart of things as far as determining how well you (we) will do in the ring. Anything to improve footwork will go miles into shaping a better fighter ( even if you don't plan to fight, we have to go about matters as if we are )

But you probably know this already.

Maybe you could have a mate - or even someone you know only very casually - join you in your sessions. Not only would it help with defraying costs, it sometimes helps to see the instructor work with someone else - that third-person perspective can be very beneficial when trying to tie things together.

9. Saved_in_Blood

yeah, footwork is of course extremely important and the core of all your movements. My issue is that I've done things the same way so often that I have a really hard time breaking the habit of that now. It'll take a while. I'm trying to figure out something with them to do the lessons twice a week without the cost going up as much. If I stop doing my CHKD class for a few months, I can pull it off and really see how well or not I can improve on everything. It did feel good to cut loose and let some power punches out though.

10. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Another addict is born...:evil::fight1:
    Enjoy!!!

11. Saved_in_Blood

HA! well I haven't had my heavy bag up in so long or had anyone hold pads for me, so I just could really cut loose.

12. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Just make certain you've anchored the bag well into the ceiling joists before you do!