Starting Out

Discussion in 'Judo' started by G50, Jan 17, 2006.

1. G50

G50 Night Owl

I'm starting Judo tomorrow, does anyone have any advice on how I can not be so nervous about starting judo (nervous about being thrown, and the falls)?

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

remember to breathe out on impact with the mats .....

smile it hurts less...

you will enjoy it .....and probably feel the aches and pains a little too ...

we had a good training session last night and I ache all over ...its great !!!!

enjoy ... :)

3. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

as a noob you will be taught breakfalls for a while... boring but they form a big part of the learning process in judo.

i remember as a kid doing breakfalls 10 times on each side and 10 backwards with each class. seeing that i trained 6 times a week i know how to breakfall quite well now lol.

4. homer_simps1

homer_simps1 King Procrastinator

How was your first night? I had mine a few weeks ago and I have not healed yet.

5. Dizzutch

Dizzutch New Member

it took me a long time before i was comfortable being thrown in every way. But you need to trust your fellow students and sensei. Remember that Judo is a sport, and that if i hurt you it means i can't play with you anymore, so it's in my best interest to make sure white belts don't get hurt. If your dojo encompases the spirit of Judo, they will treat you in the same way, and start you off slowly, until you are comfortable to move on.

6. G50

G50 Night Owl

It was great, I found out it is a lot similar to Hapkido. Since we are white belts, my instructors are letting us get used to all the regular falls and rolls, before we actually get thrown and taken down. (I'm glad about that ;) ) We did a couple of different back falls (by ourselves which I had a lot of practice in Hapkido) and we did a lot of wrist grabbing and defending from that. It was a fun night :)

7. homer_simps1

homer_simps1 King Procrastinator

How are the stikes in Hapkido? I'm thinking about taking an art that incorporates strikes and I can't find one that suits me (I'm very picky).

8. G50

G50 Night Owl

Hapkido does strikes that hit the pressure points of the person attacking you. Depending on if the school also teaches Tae Kwon Do, they might teach similar strikes, just more specifically at pressure points. :)