Starting my own school in a few months - need advice

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Dalia Calypso, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Before I left Michigan for Las Vegas there were new MMA gyms opening up everywhere in all the small towns. Unfortuantely very few of these gyms had people who new what they were doing. It is going to get pretty bad! Actually it is going to get really, really bad! :(

2. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Nah. The competition format will keep things pretty orderly until people start paring away techniques that are poorly regarded in the community.

3. liero

liero Valued Member

Moi = "the simpsons" dr nick Rivera

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

All I need is a lab coat and a goatee :)

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I can lend you the lab coat. Unfortunately, I can't help with the goatee!

6. Moi

That's Ok I can grow one of those quick enough. Thank's for the coat, I'll pick it up tonight x

7. Dalia Calypso

Dalia Calypso Valued Member

Thanks for the critical look at my idea guys. Especially thanks to Master Betty for a great response.

Back to the questions: Is it financially viable? Yes. I am not rich by any means, but I do have the means to buy all the equipment.

Will I be able to get the people quality training (which is my biggest priority)? Yes. I've had a lot of people say that this is an awesome idea, that they would love to train with us, that I am good at teaching.

I've talked to the national federation of sportsclubs and the police to give me a certificate. Everything seems to be in order. I plan on competing in BJJ in a few months. If everything goes as planned, I'll compete in a MMA event early next year. I will just have to talk to some promoters first. The reason I haven't done this before is because I've had runners knee in one knee, and jumpers knee in the other for over a year, and I've spent like 1500 dollars and countless of hours trying to fix it, but now it is finally letting go.

Yes, I might be lacking in certain areas regarding official qualifications, but I do have my sheer of experience, both in real life and in the gym. I might have only done BJJ and kickboxing for a short time, but I am spending up to 5 hours a day practicing it. Some people got talent and train hard, are willing to learn and love what they are doing. Other people train the same stuff for 10 years and still are at the level they were 7 years ago.

Do judge a book by it's cover, it can tell a lot, but be open to the idea that it can provide insights also.
    Time will show the true nature of an object. I am not going to turn this into an ATA family club. If that was the case I would burn down the gym myself.

I will give you a report on how it went. With pictures and everything.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  8. Moi

Set up costs for conversion of a building is going to be anywhere from 10 to 20 thousand depending on what you start with. I'd look towards the 20 to be on the safe side. If you're financing it through the bank, you'll be lucky, but you'll need monthly memberships. Running the place will probably set you back maybe 4 though a month if youve borrowed the set up costs.
    You're going to need stock but you might be able to secure a sale or return policy (I can set you up with a good supplier) think ways to fill the space when you're not using it. Kickercise etc:
    You'll need at least one member of staff, probably more, to run the desk etc: and deal with any newcomers. Better they know a bit about MMA & are pretty (every little helps)
    Think of other ways to supplant your income in the early days, bottled water is a huge earner & you still get to sell it cheap, same with energy drinks etc.

Good luck

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

We certainly can't fault you for your enthusiasm.

*Tips hat*

Good luck.

10. Dalia Calypso

double post

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  11. Dalia Calypso

Thanks for the positive response guys :)

A few small updates:

* My energy level for this couldn't be higher. I am really trying to put the pieces together, and it is looking good so far. I expect there will be speedbumps like in all things in life, but so far so good.

* I now know the type of company which the club should best fall under according to laws in the country I live in

* We figured out I can get some juridical help from my brother who is a lawyer

* The business plan looks pretty good now. In phase II, when we move to our own place, we will invest in some pretty funky equipment to make it a very modern and effective place to train. Like Moi pointed out, I will rent the space out when we don't use it ourselves.

* I am about to consider a deal from the bank called "security insurance" (in our language). It basically will cover any costs if anybody is injured and decides to sue me (athough not many, there are professional suers out there)

* It looks like I can secure a deal with an action and fitness center who already have mats there. The deal is not set by any means, but it seems I can teach there Monday and Wednesday.

* Talked to a supplier, and I will get a 30 percent discount on fight gear

* Just as a bonus: I've got a guy (who shall remain nameless) up for a seminar in 2012. He is an awesome dude in general, and has even beat a UFC heavyweight champion. He also fought, among others, Big Nog at one point.

* I've set up plans for what to teach in the near future, which are pretty detailed to ensure good, effective, yet fun training. I am a bit of a bookish person and like to have stuff like that on paper.

* Designed flyers and they look pretty cool. I mean, they could be better, but so far they look awesome (at least to me who can't do much with adobe photoshop and can only draw childlike pictures in MS Paint :p). After I've made a deal for a place and got things going, I will give you pictures of the flyers, fight gear, location, and everything else :)

12. liero

liero Valued Member

Sounds good dude. But who elce will coach?

13. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

yeah best of luck it sounds like youre planning it all relatively well - but the coaching element is still a huge part of it.

14. Dalia Calypso

I am going to take the class on Monday, Wednesday. After half a year or so, I plan on making a youth or children class, in which a very talented young guy will most likely be my extra instructor for the stand up part. But I will see how his coaching talent is before that; so far so good though.

I agree. Basically it looks like we are starting in March. What can I do to improve the coaching element by then?

I've read some psychology books related to coaching, and bought a book called "Starting and Running Your Own Martial Arts School". I was sceptical at first (thought it might be a bible for McDojos or something of that sort), but it seems to contain some nuggets of gold.

I've started teaching some teenagers from the big brother program now, just to get used to coaching spesific moves.

I am paying close attention to everything my BJJ and kickboxing coaches say, do, and act and analyze it.

Next week I am starting up on boxing and judo again.

Anything else I can do?

15. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Honestly? Try to get some actually MMA experience as soon as you can. When students walk through the door, the first thing they wanna know is whether or not they're gonna trust what you say. The easiest way to do this is to have some actual experience of what they want to do.

16. liero

liero Valued Member

You could get a professional instructor. And you could start taking classes where your training now or with a small clientelle to make sure you are good at and actually want to coach.

How are you going to train for pro mma and bjj and also coach full time within the next 12 months. Both are full time commitments

17. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The single most important component of a martial arts school is the coaching. Nothing else even comes close in terms of importance and it is by far the weakest part of your proposal.

You'd be better off not buying any equipment, not hiring a space and using all that money you save to pay an experienced instructor to teach people in a field.

I'm not kidding. Not even a little bit.

18. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I'd say get in the ring and have a couple of fights, boxing, kboxing, grappling comps. The experience will be essential if you want to coach your students for competition.

Good luck with your plans.

19. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Man, this is crazy...

20. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Nice thread!
    Good luck with your school, it sounds like there is a demand for it where you are.

I would second the idea of getting some MMA matches under your belt. I know if I walked into a "MMA school", the first question I'd ask the instructor(s) would be, "What's your record? At what level?" As much as I like wins-losses in various arts, I'd want to know about success in specifically MMA matches.

Good luck!