Starting Kickboxing at 35

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by JayEff, Jul 7, 2015.

1. JayEff

JayEff New Member

Hi all,

First post here - apologies if this is the wrong place to post this question.

I took up Kickboxing 6 months ago after getting through a divorce and deciding that i wanted to invest some time in my health and fitness and as a way of meeting new people.

The club i joined is a small, family oriented club that is very closely knit and i have been made to feel very welcome. Adults and children all train and spar together and i am really enjoying it so far - even though it has taken a while to get used to being hit!

I recently got my first grading, they tend to be every 6 months. We also have a young World and English title holder at the club - the coach also has international honours too.

So, down to my question - i've been contemplating competing. Most likely Light Continuous rather than full contact. But, am i too old? I'm not massively unfit but i also realise i have a long way to go to be 'fight fit'. I'm 86kg and 170cm tall in case anyone is interested.

Is 35 too old to start competing? Will all the young whipper snappers take me to school in every fight? Or is there a way that i could at least have a chance in real competition? I'm going to stick it out from a fitness perspective anyway as i've seen really positive improvements in my body shape already.

I'd love to hear the opinions of people who have faced similar circumstances or have strong views one way or the other

2. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

You have to figure out why you want to compete: Is it to win medals? To have fun? To learn? If it's the latter 2, it doesn't matter too much if you win or lose. If it's the former, I'd say lack of experience rather than age might be more of an issue.

Many martial arts segment competitiors by age... so if you are over 35, there might be a "masters" division for more, ahem, mature competitors :) That would be worth checking.

Oh and welcome to the forums.

3. JayEff

JayEff New Member

Thanks Prizewriter. Its certainly not about fame or fortune that i want to compete. I guess its more about proving to myself that i can 'do it'. Also i guess if you always spar against the same people you never see anything new. It's also about flying the flag for the club a little, who seem to be less represented in the senior years - many competed when they were youunger but are now senior black belts and now do it to bring on the beginners and/or keep fit

4. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Sounds like you are doing it for the right reasons! I don't know about kickboxing, but I've seen people compete in martial arts for the first time and they've been a lot older than 35. Give it a try and good luck.

5. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I won an English Full Contact Kickboxing title at the age of 35. You're not too old.

Fighting younger fighters won't be a problem. I've fought title holding fighters ten years younger and with more experience than myself and beaten them.

It's all about your desire to be a winner and succeed.

If you're fit and healthy, do it. It's the only way you'll know if it's for you. Do full contact though, rather than light con, you'll find it more fulfilling.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Why not try point fighting first? It's fun, low impact and you'll be in the veterans division anyway. ("Veteran" is a nice way of saying "old people" :D - it doesn't mean you'll be facing 30x world champions!)

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Full contact is definitely more satisfying.

8. JayEff

JayEff New Member

Thanks for all the replies so far - sounds like i could meet similar 'veterans' in some competitions then which is reassuring.

I also forgot to mention that I am a Type 1 diabetic, but other than that (and partial deafness) i am fit and healthy.

I'm also already working on my diet and looking at a gym workout that will compliment kickboxing

9. Unreal Combat

Point fighting is anything but low impact. I've seen a fair few knockouts from point fighting.

It's also really more akin to Taekwondo style bouts with a lot of leading with kicks with no proper emphasis on guard etc. I know some good and skilled point fighters, and its good for training leg stamina, but it's just not the same as full contact Kickboxing. The skills you learn for full contact are, in my opinion, far more valuable across the board.

Nothing wrong with it for those who enjoy it, but it's not the sort of Kickboxing I like to promote.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

To each his own. The contact levels in beginner divisons tend to be very strictly monitored in the bigger organisations (WAKO, WKA, WKC etc).

11. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

If I can start Judo at 41, you can compete kickboxing at 35. I still compete in HEMA tournaments, which are full contact with steel weapons.

12. JayEff

JayEff New Member

Thank you all for your feedback. I have my next grading at the end of the year and then I'm contemplating dipping my toe in competition early next year to gauge what I need to work on. This year is all about building a foundation of fitness and competence. Some of our youngsters have competitions coming up so I'm already benefiting from the increased intensity of training they are receiving at the club

13. Unreal Combat

What club are you training at if you don't mind me asking?

14. JayEff

JayEff New Member

LSK in Telford. You may never have heard of us :)

15. Unreal Combat

Leisure Services? Or Lightning Sport?

16. JayEff

JayEff New Member

Lightning Sport

17. Mo jo

Mo jo New Member

Hi Jeff just seen this thread and was interested how you got on

18. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

JayEff hasn't been on MAP since 2015, so I don't think you will be getting a response. ;)

19. john_newman

john_newman New Member

You are not too old, you still have time. Just improve your physique, reduce some Lbs, and Keep practicing. Believe yourself and participate in every possible competition.