Starting Kempo again

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MajesticB, Oct 26, 2005.

1. MajesticB

MajesticB New Member

Well let me begin by saying that I thought this to be the most appropriate forum for my thread since it could really pertain to anybody in my position, regardless of the style he/she is taking.

My situation is this: I started Kempo about 4 years ago, and practiced it for about a year and a half (give or take). I then had to quit do to reasons beyond the scope of this post. I talked to my sensei and he knew I was leaving and probably wouldn't be back to train again for at least a few years.

Put simply, lately I have had an itch to start Kempo up again, don't know why, it just hit me in the head, and now I feel I must start. I really would like to go back to my dojo, but I have one problem. I think that it would be rather awkward going back, since I never stopped by for the past 2.5 years to say hello or anything like that (as happens to many, me and the sensei became friends. Not in the sense of hanging out and whatnot, but he would give me a ride home sometimes, me and my brother would clean the dojo for some summer money, etc...).

What would be the best way to approach him? I don't even know what I should call him? Should I call him sensei?

Also, I have forgotten much of what I learned in terms of forms and some of the blocking systems. Do you think I will/should start back at white belt? Personally I think I should, since my knowledge of the art has deteriorated. Of course this is up to the sensei.

2. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

Don't sweat it man,

You did what you did, nobody's gonna hold a grudge against especially not your Sensei.

I bet the $30 I got to my name that he understood then and that he'll understand now.

You gotta follow your heart man, like you said you got that itch and you feel like you must start again, thats reason enough to go back and start training again.

Dont remember the bad things about the past or dread the future, live in the now and everything will be ok.

You'll thank yourself once your back in clas doing what you love, believe me. ;)

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Definitely go back. He'll be glad to see you. A student who really wants to get back to training? Why wouldn't he want to see you?

Sounds like he'll have fond memories of your time there too, as you were a helpful and friendly student.

Go back to your club and enjoy!

Mitch

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Yeah, turn up on his doorstep and he'll be glad to have another student. Especially one that he had a friendly relationship with before and he won't need to teach all the beginner techniques to.

5. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Just go there and start training again.

Like the rest already said, he'll probably be happy that you want to train again.

6. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

He'll be happy to see you again.

7. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

The advice of the forum members have spoken ;)