Starting Karate class at Gym, questions?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by dianhsuhe, Apr 26, 2006.

1. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

One of my fellow instructors is starting a martial arts program (Kara-Ho Kempo) at a pretty nice local gym and I am trying to help him with ideas to get it off the ground-
    If any of you teach or attend any special programs at your gym, or have any thoughts :D please help us out.

Couple questions:

1. How many days per week do you guys think students will prefer? He is set-up to pay the gym per class and selected 3 days and a 4th day every other week. I think starting off with Mon and Wed. and maybe a 3rd day if there is enough demand, would be better and cheaper at start-up.

2. Would you charge per class (mat fee) or monthly? I recommended monthly so he can more carefully predict being in the red or not.

That is it for now, this is coming together pretty quickly- Thanks for reading!

James

2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I think paying by the lesson is better when you are starting out as then you dont need to worry about people just not turning up because they are lazy.

3. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I'm not sure how well marketing a specific martial art will be in a gym. I've seen MA instructors have more luck relabeling it as "Strategic-street Tactics" or something self-defense class.

I'd put out a questionaire to the gym-goers and see who is interested, what days most people would like to see this type of class, etc, perhaps a discounted rate if they sign up at a certain time, etc

4. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

yup

Blessed Samurai and Naughty knight- I agree completely. Thanks for the info.