Starting boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Abu Idris, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Abu Idris

Abu Idris New Member

I'm going to be starting boxing this week. Is training twice a week enough? My goal isn't competition. Just to become a decent fighter and build my fitness. Is training twice a week sufficient for this? Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Sounds like a plan man, the only thing that gets you fit is consistency! :)

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

That depends. If what you mean by
    is that you don't want to compete on the circuit but you would like to be competition-qualified as far as skill and conditioning go - then no, its not enough.

Don't know your age or background but that doesn't necessarily imply that you should go out and add additional boxing sessions that mimic what you have on your class days.

There is much one can do and should do in the area of fitness, agility and endurance training outside of the ring - I'd spend my time on those as they are equally important to your goals.

4. Abu Idris

Abu Idris New Member

I meant I don't want to compete just learn to box so at least I know how to fight. I don't want to be competition qualified. Just want to learn to fight. Would two days a week allow me to learn the art or would I need more sessions weekly? I'm 27 next month. Only decided to learn because I thought to myself I'm 26 And still not confident in a fistfight.

5. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Hitting bags and mitts won't make you proficient in boxing alone. You will need to spar. You don't have to compete but at least get the sparring in. Will it make you a better fighter? I don't know, but it willl cettainly help and if it doesn't you'll probably be able to out run them :)

6. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

2 good sessions a week is enough to start learning for sure. If your not currently training at all then it will help your fitness aswell. 'Knowing how to fight' is a very vague term and will almost certainly mean something different to everyone, good enough to fight who and in what circumstances? Don't worry about being able to fight just worry about becoming a better fighter than you were :) in time it will come but try not to measure yourself against other people just try to chart your own improvement.

2 sessions a week will be enough for you to improve but 4 sessions will improve you quicker and get you fitter quicker. Don't worry about being able to fight just concentrate on learning the basics and the rest will come with time and experience :)