Starting BJJ

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by cluebird, Nov 23, 2007.

1. cluebird

cluebird For various reasons --

I'm in judo right now, training three times a week, and am looking into getting into BJJ as well.

I can train BJJ twice per week on average, and am wondering if people here think this is sufficient for progression.

Any advice or opinions are welcome.

2. byebison

byebison New Member

training bjj twice a week > training bjj 0 times a week

3. forever young

forever young Valued Member

bjj sux !!!!!!! ;) :p

4. cluebird

Yeah, that's figured, but still, I don't want to train so little that I won't see any results.

5. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

My opinion is that twice per week isn't ideal, but it's enough to make consistent progress with technique.

It's in conditioning that many people will suffer. If you're in good shape with good cardio, then I think you'll be fine. I don't know what the workout is like in a typical judo class, but my impression from my friends who have trained in judo is that the BJJ classes are a little more intense.

6. cluebird

Thanks for the response. However, I'm not sure who would claim that BJJ conditioning is more intensive, from what I know, quite the opposite. BJJ may be more cardio intensive because of more rolling per class.

I may also be able to attend one additional beginner drill class.

7. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

LOL... I reread my post and I'm not sure how I could be more clear.

I'll try again. Twice per week isn't ideal, but guys who train twice or even once per week still get better technique over time.

That said, core strength and good cardio are important in BJJ. Most people who train 3 to 4 times per week see significant gains in their core strength and cardio, and depending upon how bad off they are when they start, the gains are often dramatic. At twice per week, I don't know if you would see such gains from the BJJ alone. If you are already in good shape from your judo or whatever else, this will not be an issue for you.

Anecdotally, I have been led to believe that the typical judo class does not push one's core strength or cardio as much as the typical BJJ class. I say this not to judge or even to suggest that it's pervasive. Only to suggest that if it is true in YOUR case, you may consider supplementing your training so that you are fit enough to get the most out of the classes you do attend. I know for a fact that you don't benefit from sparring if you're gassing out 3 minutes into a match and puking on the mats.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  8. byebison

byebison New Member

im most dojos, the beginners have their classes twice a week and the advanced have their classes twice a week. the rest of the classes are mixed classes. so go for it.

9. cluebird

Yeah, thanks for the suggestions.

The reason why I would like to stay in judo instead of devoting all my time to BJJ is because I like judo as a sport, and for its philosophy, and since I have not trained that long, I don't want to be half-assed. After all, judo and BJJ do tread on eachothers' toes a bit, because they both have a grappling aspect, and I look to BJJ to benefit my ne-waza, which I am sure it will. In this regard, BJJ won't be my only window in martial arts, so I am not so worried about not progressing extremely rapidly in BJJ, but in martial arts as a whole.

10. rsobrien

rsobrien Valued Member

If you can afford both, time wise and money wise, do it!!

You will become a grappling monster. Your jiu jitsu will compliment your judo, and your judo will compliment your jiu jitsu. You will be a more complete (as in better) grappler than someone who trained 5 days a week in only 1 style.

Your takedowns and submissions will eventually flow together to make you a dangerous man.

11. cluebird

That's the answer I was looking for! Lol.

12. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Tru dat!

BJJ sucks the blood of LARPing chunners.

13. forever young

with that i cant argue!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh by the way how are those wingy chingy longy winky lessons coming along now????

14. forever young

WOW where did that come from???? i understand how in your postition it might be dangerous to "come out" as it were and i know this is an anonymous internet forum but i still admire your bravery. well done :D :love:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  15. Scarlet Mist

Say what? "wingy chingy longy winky lessons"? I'm afraid you've lost me.

16. Scarlet Mist

roflcakes....
    at least you tried.

17. forever young

:D

18. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=c-lS5Z8a6nQ&feature=related[/ame]

http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Jiu-Jitsu-Revolutionizing-Brazilian/dp/0977731588

''
    BJ Penn, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Champion, UFC World Champion
    Dave is the best in the world at combining judo and jiu-jitsu.

Dave Camarillo provides an excellent bridge between Judo and Jiu-Jitsu in this innovative instruction manual. This isn't your traditional, "My take on jiu jitsu" book - it shares insights of the few practioners to reach world class levels in both Judo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. As such, it has more Gi standup material than most books, and successfully integrates the Judo throws into submissions from transition. Camarillo also shows "flying" attacks, integrating submissions to the stand-up game. He's uniquely qualified to present these integrations. ''

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  19. cluebird

Thanks for that link on Camarillo. I've actually heard of him before, but I didn't know that he was a judoka as well.