Star Wars: The Force Unleashed on Wii....excited or worried?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Archibald, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

So, despite not having the physics or suped up graphics of its 360 and PS3 counterparts, this game on the Wii could potentially be awesome.

At first I was really worried that this would be a half assed PS2 port, but apparantly Krome have split the devlopment of the three 'lower end' systems into threes studio's.....so while they share all the core resources, the Melbourne studio has been working solely on the wii version. According to an interview they've dedicated a lot of time to making sure the motion controls really work and don't just act like a button press. They've also (thankfully) spent plenty of time polishing the visuals to make it something you couldn't get on the PS2 - which is great, because an epic like this really counts on atmosphere, and so much of atmosphere is the graphics.

Previews so far mostly say the controls work really well (its a shame force push is the only force power you use motion for....meh, it'd still rock) and some of the latest screens actually look pretty juicy - which is great for a system capable of TWICE the calibre graphics of RE4 or Rogue Squadron, but which constantly ends up with something that looks like it came out of a...well...

So....is anyone else as excited or as optimistic about this as I am?

Or is there anyone out there that believes the 360 or PS3 versions will blow this one out of the water?

2. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

I have to confess i haven't been keeping up to date with the different versions of this, i only have a 360 so that's all i'm interested in. A decent lightsaber game that utilises the wii-mote is definitely a good thing though, who knows, if it does turn out good then i might be convinced to get a wii in the future after all :cool:

3. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I've wanted to get a 360 for a while, just so I don't miss out on all the great games like RE5.....it's just so much money to part with :p

I think developers are finally starting to realise that putting time and effort into 'harcore' games on the wii DOES pay off...

To name a few titles to look forward to, The Force Unleashed, The Conduit, Alone in the Dark, Mad World, Disaster day of Crisis (if that ever makes it out).

The wii really is a lot of fun.....and its a kind of fun I haven't gotten on other consoles. To me that IS next gen. Just a matter of developers making decent games (because there aren't that many). I'd highly reccomend getting one if you can fork out the dosh.

(oh and the Force Unleashed is gonna rock on the 360 anyway...just look up the trailer on youtube. Drool.........)

4. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I've just purchased 'Star Wars - The Force Unleashed' on the Nintendo Wii and it is bloody marvellous.

I've been force pushing wookies, throwen my lightsabre at force gripped enemies, force repulsed my way through Jedi headed militia, ripped tie fighters out of the skies and hacked my way through clone troopers with my lightsabre and I'm knackered. :D

Sure the graphics aren't as pretty as that of the PS3 or Xbox360 but the presentation is more than passable, however, in terms of gameplay this is fantastic.

It's not perfect by any means but a decent game nonetheless. :D

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I really want to get this game. The idea of actually getting to wave a lightsabre round in battle is just so cool! It sounds fantastic, but I need to buy the console as well and I won't have time to play it for the couple of months! Aaaarrggghhhhhh! :bang::cry:

6. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

It's not worth buying the Wii for this game alone. However, it does have some wicked games on it. :D

Just an update, there are some intense Jedi battles but there are also some huge collision detection problems with your character running through walls when things get busy.

Still, well worth a punt. :D

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Don't worry I wouldn't just buy the Wii for this game, there are others out there I want too. I've just been putting off buying the console because I have too much work to do at the moment.

8. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

I'm not in any rush to buy a Gamecube 1.5, better known as a Wii, but I can say that the Xbox 360 version is nice but not really anything special. Just a God of War knockoff (which was itself quite the reprocessed hodge-podge) with a bit of Psi-Ops tossed in. It's worth some plays, but nowhere near equal to the hype. The Wii interface might make it a bit interesting, but Wii gamers will have to see how long the novelty of that lasts.

For a sword-brawler-action game, I'd easily go with Ninja Gaiden II over this, much as I hate Hollywood Ninja imagery and its own recycling of earlier mechanics.