Standing Like A Tree

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by alnesstsd, Feb 20, 2003.

1. alnesstsd

alnesstsd New Member

:confused:

I am trying to find out some more information regarding Zhan Zhuang.
    Has anyone got any good sources of information or any contact details in the far north of Scotland (Highland Region)?

2. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

The only thing I know is the book

'The Way of Energy'

published by Gaia Books

Author: Dr Lam Kam Chuen (or something like that)

I think its an excellent book. Even if you have got some literature on the subject, this book will still be valuable I'm sure.

The other thing you need? Patience and persistence:)

Mike

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

|The other thing you need? Patience and persistence|

well u need this more than the book :D
    u'll know why? ;)
    there r some books like
    XingYi NeiGong by Tim Cartmell/Dan Miller
    it talks great about standing postures.
    other good source will be

The Warrior of Stillness-YiQuan as Zhan Zhuang is at the core of YiQuan this book is great for any beginner/intermediate students.

-TkdWarrior-

4. Spirit Reaper

Spirit Reaper New Member

What are you guys talkin about?? you say beginner/intermediate students.....at what??

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

At standing still

6. johndoch

johndoch upurs

If you could be a tree what kind of tree would you be?:)

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

A giant Sequoia :D

8. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I'd be a Yew Tree. I'd grow really old and become a miserable old sod:mad: :)

9. zun

zun New Member

Be bamboo, teacher say

10. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

A deep-rooted, flexible one. Bend, don't break.

11. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

There's always the Channel 4 publication "Stand Still, Be Fit" which gives you a video and a book for £20. It's good stuff and I recommend it.

(It was on tv years ago)

Rgds,
    David

12. iamno

iamno New Member

I agree about "Stand Still, Be Fit" but who wants to be a tree anyway with all those smelly swampy-thingy-hippies rubbing themselves up on you. Have you seen what lumberjacks do. And then youve got all those squirrels pinching your.........

13. Kamon_student

Kamon_student New Member

Zhang Zhaung:

Book that I would reccomend is the way of energy I have been learning the Zhang Zhaung system for about 8 weeks great.

Recommended Reading:

General reading

The Way of Energy by Lam Kam Chuen ISBN: 1-85675-020-5

Qi Gong for Health and Vitality by Michael Tse ISBN 0-7499-1336-3

The Art of Chi Kung by Wong Kiew Kit ISBN 1-85230-403-0

Qi Gong and the martial arts

Empty Force: The Ultimate Martial Art by Paul Dong ISBN 1-85230-783-8

Qi Gong for healing

The Healing Art of Qi Gong by Master Hong Liu ISBN 0-446-67347-1

What you should notice there might be variations in the Ba Duan Jin part of the system but they all have there benefits. Get one book I practice from that.

14. gerard

gerard Valued Member

You''ll save a lot of hard earned (or easy it depends) $$$ if you purchase the Qigong Bible:

Qigong Empowerment: A Guide to Medical, Taoist, Buddhist, Wushu Energy Cultivation
    by Shou-Yu Liang, Wen-Ching Wu

***** rating. A must book to have for anyone interested in Traditional Chinese health, fitness, spirituality and healing.

Check this
    review.

Good luck.

15. gerard

gerard Valued Member

As a complement to that book try to acquire these other two:

1. The Root of Chinese Qigong: Secrets of Health, Longevity, & Enlightenment (Jwing-Ming Yang,Yang Jwing-Ming).

Read this review:

http://www.bauarchiv.de/baushop/arc..._of_Health,_Longevity,_und_Enlightenment.html

2. A Complete Guide to Chi-Gung (Daniel Reid)

Review:

http://spiritdimension.com/martial-arts_/000/daniel-reid-a-complete-guide-to-chi-gung.htm

There are other good books around but the three I recommended in this thread will make you a safe and experienced practitioner. If you still experience problems in your practice (and you probably will as everyone does) come over and the people on this forum will help you out.

Note: I don't recommend the book the Way of Energy by master Lam Kam-Chuen because it's a poor written text, it doesn't include a SOUND warm-up and cool-down routine, doesn't tell you anything about colllecting qi after practice, adequate grounding techniques, elimination of excess of qi, qi blockages and other deviations. In other words is a book written for Primary children but with nefast consequences: Would you put a gun in your child's hands? I wouldn't.

Rating of this last book: 0000* (1 star out of 5)

Unfortunately the word about this book still goes around when it should be :woo:

16. RobP

RobP Valued Member