Standing JUDO is Kurash

Discussion in 'Judo' started by ravikurash, Jul 20, 2015.

1. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Fair enough, it seemed like you were trying to push your style with some sort of angle to poach judoka, which seemed a little sleazy, i apologize for the misunderstanding.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'd go to a few training sessions if it was around. I think the negative response is more to the suggestion that elite level Judoka would just put on a funky coloured gi and enter a separate sporting competition.

3. ravikurash

ravikurash Valued Member

Holyheadjch, that was just a misunderstanding, I lacked in explaining. My suggestion is that all martial art should be categorized in one and all players should have the freedom to participate in whichever event they want to (subject to selection trial). I think this forum itself is vindication of my suggestion. This is one forum which holds all the martial art under one umbrella without any discrimination. Only politics discriminates, sports unites.

Thanks for your interest in Kurash, maybe this link will be useful to you: http://britishkurashassociation.webs.com/

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

There's always been active British judoka competing in kurash
    For example -
    http://www.matsumachijudo.org.uk/coaches

And also BJJ, although a recent ibjjf rule change stopped judo blackbelts entering as a BJJ whitebelt, as it was deemed unfair and unsafe for the real whitebelts

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I know Paul and he basically competed in everything involving a jacket.

6. ravikurash

ravikurash Valued Member

That's great.

7. Dead_pool

And without it seems, with the freestyle and Greco.

Iirc, Martin Clarke's lot who ran sambo in the UK also took part in the kurash back in the day.

Ps that's from memory of reading combat and mai magazine back in the day.

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

It looks very similar to georgian jacket wrestling (my SAMBO coach tells me) and it's probably a relation.

9. Dead_pool

The internet says its a precursor to sambo.

But then again the internet says a lot of things

10. ravikurash

ravikurash Valued Member

Kurash does not have any grading system. No belts are offered. So the reasoning of white and black belt does not fit here.

11. Dead_pool

How are competitions organised without grades?

12. ravikurash

ravikurash Valued Member

In junior events its age and weight category and in senior events it's only weight category.

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That seems counter productive to growing and developing a sport...is there at least levels of ability? Win/loss record etc..?

14. Dead_pool

http://kurash-ika.org/en/pravila/

"In open gilam (tatami) championship every wrestler fights to increase his/her sport qualification, title and experience."

What is sport qualification and title?

15. ravikurash

ravikurash Valued Member

Yes, we are developing grading system. And yes, we keep record of all events and you can check that on our website too http://kurash-ika.org/en/

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

No submissions? Dissapointed :(

17. Mangosteen

its kind of like backhold. all these grappling styles are developed as training tools for warfare where going for a submission is longer than just throwing them and stabbing them.

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If we talk about combat and not just sport, the submission is not the only follow up after throwing. After you have thrown your opponent down, you can always:

- drop knee on his chest,
    - drop elbow on his heart,
    - drop punch on his head,
    - step down on his head,
    - kick the back of his head,

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  19. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Bit of a moot point if you are both unarmed and wearing a gi and fighting one on one :p

Edit: on a separate note I watched a backhold wrestler and my freestyle coach wrestle backhold style. Backhold guy launched him a few times. Looks like fun!

20. Mangosteen

Not really, it's a different sport with different aims.

We don't complain that bjj doesn't take weapons into account becaus Ethan's not the sport.