Standing Grappling

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Geordie Boy, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

I have just read about two different types of standing grappling - chin na (kung fu) and Dumog(filipino). Both appear to be brutal - and very destructive in their application. How would you describe the Tai Jutsu methods? IS it as nasty or is it more refined and controlled?

2. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Can't rightly say until I have had a chance to check into the other two methods, although, I can say Taijutsu methods can be both nasty and refined. Depends on why you are using them. Controlling a drunk or taking out someone intent on killing you. I'll get back to you tonight or tomorrow.

3. stump

stump Supersub

Dumog is not standing grappling per se....it includes both floor and standing stuff.

I think with little exception you'll find grappling is grappling no matter what style it's learned from and the differences in techniques are minimal.

4. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

I suppose the way we do a lot of our training it could be considered as "standing grappling".
    To place some one in a joint control type of grip in a standing position for purposes of controling that individual we classify the hold as being either a "control technique" or a "come along". the difference being is that a "come along" is designed for the purpose of taking somebody in a controlled manner from point "a" to point "b". A "control technique" is not as good for mobility, but evokes joint control or bone breaking holds, strikes and chokes. We stress being able to apply a variety of holds to the wrist, fingers, elbow, etc. from either standing or on the ground. Having said that I am not a propponent for fighting on the ground if I can help it.
    These techniues are from the USA GOJU FEDERATION, and were devised with a body guard mind set and/or an arresting mindset. The techniques we practice are not utilized in sport fighting ,because the reality of the hold requires bones to break usually.

5. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

I see, so once you learn the techniques (and by grappling i did mean the control and come along moves) you can make them as harsh or light as the situation requires. Excellent ,thanks for that guys.