Standing Grappling & Throws

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Newcastle Martial Artist 76, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I used to like wrist locks off the figure 4 grip in BJJ. People seemed to defend the armbar possibility and forget the wrist was an option. I'd slide my wrist control hand down over their hand and cinch it all in to get the wrist. Never got them standing but got some on the ground from stalled armbar attempts.
    Got (jokngly) called "king of the wrist locks" for a few weeks after catching some people. :)
    And of course if you catch a wrist lock in BJJ you have to declare "Aikido wins!"

axelb, Dead_pool, hewho and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If I scream aikido kiai at people does that still count?

axelb and Dunc like this.
  3. Interesting thread gonig on...so do you all study Taijustu...aswell as Judo etc? Or have you come from Judo / Bjj backgrounds and moved in to Taijutsu?

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. Dead_pool

I used to be a Dan grade in taijutsu, I then picked up BJJ in addition, I ended up only training BJJ for several years, then started training Judo as well for a few years, and a little MMA too.

Most people on here have quite a rounded background.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I had no idea you did ninjutsu for a year?

I kid, I kid.

18 months? :)

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  6. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Taijutsu since 1990
    BJJ since 2011

Mushroom and Dead_pool like this.
  7. Dead_pool

Hey it was two years to judan, van donk took ages to cash them cheques!!

(I kid, it actually took eight odd years specific training to get shodan, it wasn't the Bujinkan!)

8. Dead_pool

1990 is a long way back, congratulations for sticking the course! I think I started in '96 with the BBD, the dojo folded a few years after that.

Dunc likes this.
  9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

BBD is still going through!

10. Dead_pool

Yea, im still not sure how I feel about that, of its time it was good training, but Brian hadn't got the technical base to back up his fighting ability and grade, so he adds other stuff, isn't clear it's his own addition, and sometimes it isn't that good quality.

axelb and Dunc like this.
  11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

That goes for most Ninjas tho.....

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. Dead_pool

I'd say the opposite, most ninjers can't fight, Brian can, hes just ran out of material to teach, it's like writing more books then you've read, generally it's a bad idea.

I've also met lots of xkan people who can fight, and have technical skill, I just didn't improve that well under the methodology.

I got jumped covering a class once by a new student who had obvious mental health issues, instead of using the material I had spent a decade training, I sickle swept them, took the back, got the RNC and then talked them down, that's what really changed my mind, when push came to shove, I had to know that what I was doing worked, so I only did what I knew I had already done hundreds of times before, Experience works.

JibranK and Dunc like this.
  13. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

This is the most I've learnt about you personally in 10 years of this forum

14. Dead_pool

Im not one to talk about myself,
    Unless its to the fourth wall of course!

hewho likes this.
  15. Crucio

Crucio Valued Member

Not to sound like an a jerk but the techniques themselves are not the point of ninjutsu ( i know this is not what you asked but it's on this forum). Lots of people that have left the Bujinkan are doing them, but they find they need a lot of force, to be stronger then the opponent, to hit, etc. The fundation is the actual base, structure (kamae, moving through kamae and the angles and positions it teaches you along with power generation and others) and through that, the movement that happens to apply this technique or the other. It's like asking a boxer how do you ever hit with a straight. It's not the punch that is difficult to learn, it's the application.

A wrist lock can be done 4 ways, by bio mechanics, but that is useless information if you don't know how to set it up. Surprise, taking of balance, are things within the movement; it's the movement that we learn, not the techniques (also this but this is simple). Even the very basic moves have this within them, move a bit back or forward, to the side, before doing the whatever...that is you taking away balance.

People that think they learned x move or y move about how to twist an elbow are missing the point. If you learn what you are told, you can punch, you can run, or..you can do that move. From punching to stabbing with a sward the move is the same. Because the body structure and movement (i know you are sick of hearing this) are so crucial, training with a Bo (long stick) is very important; every little mistake you do in structure is going to be mega amplified if you have a long stick in your hand.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2020
  16. Dead_pool

^ these sorts of phrases are also uttered by people parroting the offical line who haven't got a clue how it actually works and have never had the experience of actually fighting someone.

Unfortunately they are still the majority in the Bjkn.

No offense, I'm sure your different, it's just the rest who don't get it.

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Just a friendly reminder that if it needs to be asterisked it's best not to type it on MAP :)

Crucio likes this.
  18. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I’m not sure if they represent the majority, but for sure a particular stream
    At the end of the day everyone needs to triangulate between the theory (ie what crucio refers to), the practical reality of applying technique against knowledgable people who are trying to beat you and coping with the chaos of a dangerous situation
    My issue with the folks who delve deep into the historical context is that they tend to spend a huge amount of time refining details based on assumptions of what is correct Technique vs wrong technique. These assumptions are provided by their teachers which makes the whole stack of cards 100% reliant on faith rather than their own direct experience and testing/experimentation

Crucio likes this.
  19. Crucio

Crucio Valued Member

They are the majority in every art.

20. Dead_pool

Not in my experience, boxing, judo, BJJ, wrestling, MMA, all put out skilled individuals who can actually fight.

You used to train kyokushinkai didn't you?

What put you off training that?