stance

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by chip, Sep 20, 2003.

1. chip

chip New Member

what is the best stance to use for a roundhouse kick? i have seen some with the bodyweight leaned over the lead leg (70% of weight on the forward leg, 30% on the back leg - with the back leg kept straight, and the legs are approximately a shoulder width apart).

i have also seen fighters "sitting back" on their rear leg, with little to no weight placed on the front leg, which is held in a sort of "L-stance)
    what would you reccomend?
    thanks for your time and info
    Namaste,
    Chip

2. totality

totality New Member

i assume you mean before the kick is initiated? if so, then i would recommend using whatever fits the situation.

i.e. having all weight on your rear leg works if you're in kicking range, and there is very little movement going on, (i suggest a feint first) but if they charge you, then you have no balance.

and the other one you described, basically leaning over, would really only be useful when you were advancing.

until you start kicking, then i think you should do both very quickly :)

3. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

I say no stance. Neutral stance works best. stancing just give away what your planning to do. But yeah if you put more weight on your balance leg, your roundhouse will be much stronger. Cause it allows you to swing it more.

4. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

I personally always try to keep it neutral for the above reasons. The beauty about muay thai is that al moves can be performed easily from the one stance so why mess with that by altering it?

5. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

Thai boxers usually kick from a very narrow stance..one foot is forward and the other is back off at a 90 degree angle. As such you have different ways of throwing the roundhouse. Some ways require you to take a step diagonally forward and lean your bodyweight over to bring the rear leg in. But yet you can also kick with little or not stepping motion, simply by pivoting on your supporting foot in place and twisting your hips.
    Some boxers like to keep their front foot light, tapping it up and down while others maintain most of their weight into the front.

You should really be constantly shifting weight between your feet and altering stances because you need to be able to kick from both legs at a moment's notice.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2003