Squats and knees

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by funkymonk, Sep 13, 2005.

1. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

I was in the gym yesterday doing squats on the hack squat machine and felt my knees giving me a bit of discomfort. I don't want to injure my knees so has anyone got any advice on what i should be doing to stop this from happening. Should i strap my knees up or decrease the weight? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Sure thing. Substitute the word "barbell" for the word "machine", and you should be good to go. Wrapping your knees or decreasing the weight would be treating the symptoms, rather than addressing the cause. Free weights will always be more joint-friendly than machines.

3. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

^^ Spot on. As bewater said, drop the machines, escpecially the hack squat, its well known for being a knee wrecker.

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Do REAL hack squats, they are just fine! Hold the bar behind your legs and squat. Job done.

5. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

Thaks everyone i will do. My old gym has closed and i joined a new gym with nowhere to do squats with free weights so i had to use this hack squat machine. Think i'm gonna have to change gyms again. :)