Squat problem

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Will56, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Will56

Will56 Valued Member

I recently bought a set of weights to do some training at home. However Ive encountered a slight problem.
    It seems I can squat a decent weight, which was a supreise to me. However as I'm not that strong I'm finding it a bit difficult to get the weight onto my shoulders to push the squats. Last night I squated 50kg easily but had trouble lifting anything heavier without jerking my back.
    Has anyone any tips?

2. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

ideally you'd need a squat rack but you can get away with light weights using two sawhorses as a cheaper version until you can afford a better set up

[​IMG]

3. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Have you been taught how to clean by a coach?

You could do deadlifts.

4. Will56

Will56 Valued Member

Flaming: Haven't been taight how to do cleans. I might give the deadlifts a try, I just like the workout you get from good deap squats.
    Was thinking of investing in a bench, would I get to use the rack on the back of a bench for squating??

5. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Hack squats? I know they aren't great as normal squats but they could be an alternative...

6. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Try corner squats. Put one end of the bar right in the corner of a room, and put weight on the other. Facing the corner with the bar supported under your chin (or overhead for a better variation), squat. You won't be able to do it if you don't maintain correct form. Great way to teach the squat that I stole recently from a t-nation article.

7. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

With Ad, and Tom, try some variations on the squat:

Front squat
    Overhead Squat
    Zuercher Squat
    (Hack and Corner have already been mentioned)

8. cxw

cxw Valued Member

All of the above is good advice.

In terms of the saw horses, that's my budget squat rack. Each saw horse has a safety limit of 120kg, so the 2 of them can hold up to 240kg which is hardly a light weight (and I'm an eternity from a 240kg squat). If you get the adjustable type (depending on your height) you will almost be standing up when you unrack the weight.