Spot the MAPers

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Alansmurf, Feb 18, 2012.

1. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I think it depends on the situation Simon. The styles are definitely a lot more obvious in the lower pressure one on one situations at the start. We even had a pulled shot to the head by a Karate Instructor on Smurf (last fight):
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojDaVRazc1g"]Sim Day 4 Student CW - YouTube[/ame]

Southpaw is recognisable as a preferred ground fighter. :)

That said, under pressure, the two Gojo Ryu Karateka did what I would consider to be JKD straightblast to the head rather than normal Gizami Zuki gyaku zuki - but then I'm more used to seeing Shotokan hips.

The matter is blurred somewhat by the fact that there are people who've been told to be an attacker and so are launching haov (eg Sampsi).

You can certainly see common mistakes across the board:
    Guards being dropped in the escalation stage.
    Overly combative, visible and aggressive guards in the escalation stage.
    Lack of commitment and impact.
    Lack of the use of tactile cues.
    Lack of the use of strikes to the lower body.

All stuff to work on - but then that's one of the aims of the day. :)

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I think these are beating the groundfighter out of me to be honest. Pulling guard was instinctive but quite possibly could of got me killed. Then again itserved me very well one on one until smurf decided to ruin my fun.

I forgot to ask on the day Jwt but what's the procedure as it were for doing locks? I mean it looked a lot faster on the playback but when I was doing the kimura I had time to sit there and wonder what I was supposed to do. In an RL situation I would of gone for the break as soon as I got the arm but I couldn't really do that in the simulation. Do you just tell the person to stay down?

3. Southpaw535

double post

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  4. Southpaw535

triple post

5. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Keep organising them, JWT. As you know from our various conversations and from the one time I did manage to come down, my schedule is usually a bit hectic and prone to change (for example, I was in Wales this time!), but I loved it last time (there is no nicer feeling than kneeing someone in the chest...) so I'm always up for it.

6. John Titchen

Locks - I have no problem with if appropriate. Breaks on the other hand are out of line.

Unless skilled at manipulating the arm so you use angle rather than strength to achieve a lock you will have difficulty applying under the circumstances against a no compliant person without lots of practise. Most 'breaks' lie in the realms of accident and fantasy.

With regard to leg locks, consider how much pain Gary had after an impromptu leg scissor transferring to a mount by Smurf. I think the risk to both participants outweighs the benefits - for me they are competition only.

Headlocks are completely out. Too difficult to control safe movement in a multiple person fight.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You'd be getting some crazy leverage with those helmet's too. All too easy to wrench a neck even without meaning it.
    And it'd be far harder to get your head out of one too so it'd give you a false idea of how easy one would be to maintain for real.

8. John Titchen

QFT.

9. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Jwt, your seminars look so fun! Come to WA and bring your toys. You can sleep in my bed while you stay here, but I get to be the big spoon.

10. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

JT run away ............

11. John Titchen

Hi John

I've years of experience sleeping on hard floors. It is a skill that has served me well. I'm more than happy to practice it in the USA. :)

I might bring Sampsi as a guard dog though. :evil:

12. Alansmurf

And Smurf as the elder statesman and minder !!

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

And Simon as back up and Smurfs back massager.:cool:

14. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Thread.....Getting.....disturbing....

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Actually I do a very thorough buttock massage.

I leave no stern untoned. :)

16. John R. Gambit

I don't know what a Sampsi, but it sounds suspect. Does it bristle when threatened or during unwanted spooning attempts?

17. Alansmurf

Check out the video clips and spot the one in the pink T shirt ..that is the Mark 1 version of a Sampsi... A true British bulldog !!!

18. John R. Gambit

Oh yeah, I've seen the little pink one before. I like him. He's small, spunky, secure enough to wear pink, and a good actor. He's like a British version of me, but probably not as handsome.

19. Alansmurf

and modest

20. Atre

Atre Valued Member

Wow, can't believe I've missed all of this!

Haven't had a computer for a few days :p.

Re: John & T shirts: I definitely go for more colours, or organising us into correct colour teams for each exercise... The big bar fight scenarios, most people pile in and help their mates but it's pretty hard to know who they are at the moment! And bystanders would be more likely to try and help pin aggresors if they knew who they were. My 2 cents anyway :).

For example see me in this video dancing like a loon [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxJDom-5YVQ&feature=player_embedded"]Sim Day 4 Second Bar Scenario - YouTube[/ame] I almost decide to kick Chris but it seemed a bit unsporting when it looked 2 on 1 :p.

And watching myself in the videos, oh boy do I make a LOT of mistakes. Like... a shameful number. But hey, least I won't be such an eejit next time ;P.