Sports Medicine Book

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pkhamidar2com, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

Hey, today i found this book in the library and i thought i would take it out as its quite interesting. Its called "The sports medicine book"

The book was copywrited in 1978 so its really old :/

Would you say its not worth reading? I didnt really bother to look at the date at first, but now im thinking... im not sure.

I mean i was reading through the first few pages and one of them said

Myth 11. athletes require more protien in their diet

The basic gist of what it was saying was that protien requirements doesn't rise significantly with exercise, and that its more of the sugars that are depleted rather and not protein.

Then says that Gerg Weiss, an olympic gymnsat, believed that high protien diet helps repair damaged tissue after hard workout, but actually he benefited from the minerals in the drink and the extra protein ended up in his urine.

Another one was that it was better to split meals into smaller meals

also another thing that boggled my mind was that it said
    woman are too worried that exercise will build large ugly muscles. It doesnt happen, ice skater dorothy hamill and gymnast olga korbut have sleek well formed muscles. To develop large, bulky muscles, you have to do resistance exercises such as weight lifting. rythmic exercises such as aerobic dancing, running, swimming and bicycling form long and firm attractive figures.

The more things that contradict what i have been taught on the net and on this forum, the more i feel this book is not worth the read :/

It has some really interesting things in the book, but im just worried im learning things that are no loner believed or have been proved wrong.

2. LOL... read it, understand it, tell us!

Osu!

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

You're right to consider the publication date of the material. Nutrition and sports science have moved on considerably for a number of reasons since 1978.

This is partly correct. Most men can't even form large, bulky muscles. lol. And they are trying like anything in the gym to make that happen. Large bulky muscles are result of your training regimen (rep/set ratio), diet/rest and hormonal balance. You also have the cultural/societal factors... women are expected to be soft, accepting and nurturing and men are expected to be steadfast, strong and physical. Not always but these norms have held sway for a long time... I daresay they still are held today in most places.... even in the western world. This is really speaking more to body image or perceptions that women held at this time... many of which are still present. Again you do have to consider the era somewhat. Gyms in 1978 weren't anywhere near as prevalent as they are today. In 1978 they would have been mostly the preserve of men and primarily for bodybuilding or wanna be bodybuilders. You didn't have your Les Mills programs back then and you didn't have your 24 hour fitness gyms or Fitness First type chain gyms for men and women.

(BTW 1978 isn't really old for most intents and purposes you realize! :p )

It's also worth noting that there's nothing wrong with going back and reading older stuff. I do it all the time. But you need to be careful what you take on board. A book written in 1978 probably isn't going to be your best bet for up to date training material. Not that you won't find gems in there... you may... but overall you will want to start to filter anything you read through a solid understanding of anatomy and physiology. If you get a grasp on that then you can filter out lots of nonsense.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  4. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

thanks slip. that's a really good post!

yeah I was planning on reading this. I will look for a human anatomy and physiology book that is fairly recent on Monday.

anyways thanks for the reply!