Sport & competing

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Moi, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

How essential is that you compete in sport martial arts?
    Now some you must to advance but these are few and far between
    I don't think there is any doubt that you massively improve if you do compete and actually see the sport for what it really is but is it essential?
    Just I've heard a few complaints over the years that some clubs operate a two tier system dependant on whether you're up for a scrap or not. One local one I think you have to fight, certainly it's expected
    Are you just milking the other students or are they getting the training they want (deserve :)) everyone has bills to pay, clubs no exception
    So should you be expected to fight? Do people join other sports and not compete?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Nobody at my club is under any pressure to compete at all. It's dependant on the person :)

3. Moi

It's also an extreme. Know lots of people that train MMA but few that fight
    So they train for fun, fitness and/or self defense?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  4. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Shouldn't have to compete. Should have to do some form of sparring (under an appropriate level of rules/control)

5. Moi

Agreed but are people not missing something by not?

6. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

At our club we have the general class and the fight team. Members of the fight team are expected to go to tournaments and put in extra training time and pay extra money to pay for the extra rental time.

The simple fact is that the classical techniques don't always work in sporting environment where the weapons are blunt and the opponent isn't actually trying to kill you. Since we're not a tournament-focused club, we need time set aside for members to learn tournament-specific techniques and strategies.

The main class (which also includes all FT members) tends to work on more classical technique and modern self-defence, with tourney-based training as an adjunct. Those that like it know where to go to get more.

Attending tournaments doesn't directly affect your ranking. Doing lots of them tends to improve you as a fighter in general, which spills over into your progress through the ranks because you're getting better faster.

7. Moi

Very similar at the gym except it costs no more. You lot have adapted an art into sport though I guess?

It's part of the criteria for BB, even if it's only the once

8. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

It's always been both, dating back to the middle ages and probably beyond. In the modern HEMA scene, tournaments have only gotten important in the past 3-4 years or so. I think it's because there's a critical mass of people, and there is now gear to accommodate the force levels found in modern competitive HEMA. There were lots of broken hands and fingers in the early days of HEMA.

Back in the 16th century, the goal in some sport versions was to draw a bleeding head wound on your opponent. I remember one account of someone getting his nose split in two in a public tourney. Rough stuff that most people with jobs can't risk today.

I've found that anyone interested in getting our BB equivalent is also interested in tournaments. If we made it a requirement, I doubt it would change anything.

9. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

You know it's a funny thing, the difference between having a resistant opponent and entering sporting events. In judo, long before it got really sport oriented they had randori as a way of testing yourself. You try to win but it's not sport in the sense that you are trying to win ''something''. I think as long as you have the equivalent of randori then you might be able to get by without formal sports events. Yes the events push you ina different way but not necessarily needed to progress. There is a high level BJJ theorist that is well known and respected for his skills who does not compete. Even in an art that is so focused on competitions people can still progress.

There gets to be a point in life where circumstances don't always allow people to compete. The last time I looked san shou has an age cut off of 35 or something similar which seems a bit young. I took up rugby again at 50 and find that the aggression/stamina etc help although not directly related to my chosen MA studies. I also like to try other things where there is sparring/randori as it shows me my weaknesses and helps to guide me to where I need to improve/sharpen things up. Unfortunately between running a business, teaching a class, having kids, training and all the other stuff that comes with life I don't have as much time for it as I might like. I have no great desire to go into comps and compete. Frankly I find the rugby much more fun.

Hope the rambling makes sense...

a bit past my sell by date but not completely knackered!!

LFD

10. daggers

daggers Valued Member

In judo and bjj etc competition isn't always nessasery, after all you can almost go 100% at sparring just like a competition , however striking arts are different. Go 100% in sparring and you get knock outs and so on , sparring in striking arts is very different than submission sparring
    In combat striking sports competition shouldn't be mandatory Or expected, it's up to the individual, however the individual must be aware that they will not be using the art to it's full potential , iv had guys that are amazing at sparring for years then crumbled when it came to actual competition in their first go
    Competition is the final learning experience of their sport
    In order.. Learn to..Control yourself (shadow box) , then learn to control a bag, learn to control yourself and a partner on pads, learn to control a sparring match, learn to control a new sparring partner at inter club, learn to control your opponent in the ring.

11. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

Tae Kwon Do Student? Sadly, it's usually required...

Also to advance, test, and rise above in the ranks it's usually required you have sport experience.

I'm very appreciative of the Martial Sport experience I received during my time in Tae Kwon Do. I longer participate in sport but I'm very grateful.

Our school doesn't typically allow sport unless it's for charity.

I think it depends widely on the school, system, Instructor and organization. I don't think one should be required to participate, it should be an option.