Spontaneous Workout Check-In

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Colucci, Mar 23, 2006.

1. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Yup-190 snatch grip push press. Thanks. :) I don't do bb benching, so I do a ton of OH pressing and slowly but surely it keeps rising up. I'm hoping to hit a 275 push press by December.

However, something very cool happened the other day. I made a trip up the university gym to max out on bench. I haven't benched other than 1 arm db flat bench since Jan and I ended up benching 5lbs more than my old max. So, with no bb benching for 5 months, I was able to hit 305 by push pressing, jerks, 1 arm db shoulder presses, and 1 arm db benching.

2. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Before I went out tonight, I did:

5x5 bent over dumbell rows
    5x5 full contact twist
    5x5 military press
    One set of twenty deadlifts, followed by one set of 15, then one set of 10 after adding some weight (robbed from bulk since my skinny ass needs some extra size)
    Finished up with 5x5 pullups
    I'm not posting my weight numbers because people will point and laugh

3. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Must be the result of all that shoulder and tricep work! And to think the most I've done in a clean and jerk was 225 :D. Hopefully I'd be able to do a little more in a few weeks.

4. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

your C&J is the almost the same as mine (PB is 100kg which is 220lbs i think) although im 90kg!

oh and blessed i am so going to try snatch grip push presses today- they sound intense.

5. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

you have been lifting for a while now so i think your numbers would be better than you would have thought mate. a good solid session coupled with a nice linky :)

6. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

Right i approached training in a whole new way (for me at least)the other day. i deicded to workout my core as a primary target.

warm up (not really core relaed)
    pistols 5,3,3 on each leg.

standing over head press
    BB 4 sets of 8 with 45kg (warm up)
    1 armed DB overhead press 4 sets of 6 with 27.5kg. absolutely no core movement allowed.

1 armed DB overhead squat
    2 sets of 6 with 15KG, 2 sets of 4 with 20kg

turkish get ups with a 15kg plate held in both hands (so no use of other hands to get up-pretty much a sit-up and split overhead-squat holding the plate like a steering wheel)
    4 sets of 3

weighted crunches with 20kg DB
    3 sets of 10

medicine ball (well basketball!) pressups with leg opposite basketball raised
    4 sets of 10 (2 with each arm on ball)

1 arm farmers walks with 50kg DB for max distance
    2 sets for each hand

7. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Yeah, but I started REALLY low :D (stupid smilies still aren't working). If anyone's really interested, the rows were 35kg on the dumbell, 30kg on the twist, 42kg on the military press and 56kg for the 20rep deadlifts

8. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

not too shaby at all :) how are you finding the 20 rep deads? thats sounds grip-tastic! ive done 20 rep sets with squats but never deadlifts. that may be something to combine with blesseds snatchgrip push presses i think ;)

9. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

I think investing in a couple straps would be a good idea for the 20rep dead. Im not insane enough to do that though ;).

10. Sever

Sever Valued Member

They are indeed grip-tastic! I'm really enjoying the deadlift program, actually. One day I do a set of 20, followed by 15, then add some weight and do 10 (sometimes I have to break out the lifting straps for that last set, by the time I get to it, my hands are almost dead) and on the next workout day, I do five sets of ten reps. I seem to be progressing pretty well with it as a whole and I haven't started finding excuses to not work out yet like I have done with some other programs

11. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Snatch grip push presses are teh win...lemme know how ya get along with them. :) I've done the 20 rep deads before but I've always worn straps for the last 10. However, I've never pulled out a set of 15 and down after the set of 20.

12. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

10 mile fell run/cliff bouldering and chased by a bull out of a field via a hedge! :D

13. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Comaboy that sounds like fun.

Just got back from a safe 5km run (that's 3 miles). Have cut 57 seconds from my last run.

14. M Lambert

M Lambert Fitness Consultant

X-Trainer 10 mins
    Cycle 10 mins
    Boxing 10 mins
    Chest Press 3x12
    Shoulder Press 3x12
    Seated Row 3x12
    Lat Pulldown (yea its a machine) 3x12

My hamstrings knackered again, i think I inclined the X-Trainer too much.

15. Lily

Lily Valued Member

4.5 mile run
    20 minute yoga warmdown

16. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Do you use your arms with X trainer? And does it feel harder or easier running/jogging when you do that instead?

17. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

I just so happen to be following the example 50-day program in Infinite Intensity. Today is a rest day but yesterday it was:

100 Rope Turns
    10 Burpees
    10 Pushups
    10 Squats

x10

It took my sorry **** 30 minutes to finish.

18. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

I felt a little tired today, it’s hot and I spent most of the day on my feet rather than at the desk.
    Back and forearms: 5 minute warm up on stair climber.
    Pull ups
    15 at body weight
    10 with 25lbs plate
    6 with 45lbs plate
    10 at body weight
    Single arm rows 15@50, 12@60, 10@80, 15@50
    Close grip pull downs, 15,12,10,15 (machine weight)
    Seated rows 15,12,10,15 (machine weight)
    Hypers 4X12 with 25lbs plate

Wrist curls (2X30) 20lbs barbell
    Reverse wrist curls (2X30) 20lbs barbell

I love back day even when I don’t feel my best. I had a shower and a great meal and I feel much better. It’s time to get a good night sleep. Tang Soo KICKBOY

19. M Lambert

M Lambert Fitness Consultant

There is moving arm bars - its a bit like a ski machine. And I dont know... I cant run at the moment :p

20. koto_ryu

koto_ryu Common sense is uncommon

I'm bored enough, might as well post what we did yesterday.

Home workout today. Light drizzle off and on, but for the most part nothing too bad.

We started off doing log press singles, working our way up to try to shoot for a 1RM. I went for a 10-pound increase but could only get it to about chin level. I dropped 5lbs and got it to forehead level, so next time I should be able to get it fresh. Seems the extra focus on military presses, power jerks, and behind the neck push jerks are paying off.

We then toyed around with my 220-225# Atlas stone. Picked it up a couple times each, no chalk or tacky, then just tossed it back down. Need to get something to load it on soon.

Grabbed the keg and did 30 shoulders (picking it up from the ground, one hand on the bottom and one hand on the side, then bringing it up in one movement to your shoulder), 15 each side, then did some keg presses. Got a hard-fought 15 reps total with a break in between 7 of them. We then did about a dozen keg tosses each to really work those obliques, alternating sides each time. My workout partner did keg squats but since it was only a couple hours to my Kyokushin class I passed on these.

We then finished up with some gripwork, sledgehammer levers and a Twist-yo-Wrist specifically. My workout partner finally got the 8lb to touch his nose today so he was excited about that. I did several reps with my right hand but my left thumb is still stoved a bit so I only managed to do a single or two with my left. Went up on the Twist-yo-Wrist too, used a 25# plate this time and rolled it up and down twice. Fun workout overall.