*SPOILERS* UFC64-unstoppable 10/14

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by littlebiggie, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Sever

Sever Valued Member

If he wins by cut due to elbow - especially if he's losing the fight - I will throw things at the TV. Lucky cut is the only way Florian wins the fight

2. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Why?

It has obviously worked for him(training at Militech) so why change it?

As to Kenny winning via cut by elbows, I will flip out. I HATE when that happens.

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

He's not trained solely at Militech for a couple of years as far as I know, he just tends to shoot up there for a bit of pre-fight training etc, but he's still associated with them and sometimes corners MFS guys. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been up there lately working on his wrestling

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  4. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Thanks, that clears it up a bit.

5. Rapid

Rapid Valued Member

I must be a flipping idiot but i didnt know there was a UFC lightweight champion, this is really weird as i follow UFC avidly and have watched them all since UFC 49 (and alot of previous ones when they were re-aired), ive either in some miraculous error not watched the title fight and have managed to miss all info about it on forums and websites or ive watched it and have completely forgotten about it, could someone please explain how the title was won and who was fought to get it, have there been any title defences and any other info you know, thanks

6. Sever

Sever Valued Member

There isn't and hasn't been since Jens Pulver left the UFC years ago. In fact, the lightweight division coming back is only a recent thing in the UFC. Somehow - and don't ask me how - the UFC decided that Sherk and Florian were the best two lightweights they have and decided that they'd have the first UFC lightweight title fight in over four years
    Again, don't ask me how they arrived at this conclusion

7. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

My guess...

Sherk was going to drop down anyways and they decided he would make a good champ. They also looked at Florian and decided he is fairly well known due to his TUF appearence so he would be a good way of letting the public know about Sherk when he dominates" the great Ken-Flo".

Rumour has it that Jens was scheduled to be one of the coaches on season 5 of TUF along with Sherk, which means the UFC expected Sherk to win and were planning on building Jens up as a competitor. Jens got knocked out by a relative unknown which threw a wrench into their plans, but Sherk should still dominate and make an impressive champ.

8. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Yeah, it's a possible theory, but it's still a stupid fight, not to mention a huge gamble. Stevenson or Homnick (Stevenson makes a better case) deserve the shot instead of Kenny; both beat Edwards who was top of the food chain before they killed the division off and Stevenson actually won a TUF series - he'd also put on a great fight with Sherk meaning the champion had won the belt in a war. Plus, Sherk's never competed at 155 before, he could fight like absolute crap at that weight for his first couple of matches before his body adjusts. They're taking a massive risk with this fight, whoever wins it

9. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Your right about Stevenson and Hominick but I have a feeling they want to have Sherk dominate so he becomes the undisputed champ and then put him against Jens(now Stevenson or Hominick) so people would see the later matches as the dominating Sherk vs TUF winner Stevenson.

I think the unknown of Sherk at 155 is why he is going to be fighting Kenny as opposed to a more competitive fighter.

10. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

Here's a question based on the revival of the LW division in the UFC:

Does this mean TUF will be featuring lightweights next season?

11. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

that would be interesting to see.

12. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Fairly certain that TUF 5 will revolve around that division.

Pulver was supposedly signed to be one of the coaches for season 5, but then he lost to a virtual unknown Joe Lauzon so who knows if that changed anything...

Also rumoured that the cast will be 8 vets and 8 rookies.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  13. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Pulver's next fight will probably be the decider in that, as will Lauzon's. In an MMA match all kinds of crazy things can happen and Pulver losing could well have been something of a fluke - anyone can get caught. At least they're not doing what they did with Terrell and putting Lauzon straight into a title match

14. Rapid

Rapid Valued Member

I just hope BJ Penn drops back down to 155 and dominates everybody in that division, he deserves to be one of the greatest champions ever and easily could be at 155, BJ is phenominal and has always been 1 of my favourite fighters, he needs to get himself the title and hold onto it for a long long time

15. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I don't think he would dominate at 155, nor do I think he "deserves to be one of the greatest champs ever".

You get what you deserve in MMA, and currently he doesn't "deserve' to be a champ.

16. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

Penn Sherk would be a good fight. Sherk never fought Penn but they both lost to Hughes and St.Pierre.

17. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

I just have to say that Hominick DOES NOT deserve a shot after his fight against gurgel. No one should be rewarded for running away from the fight.

18. Sever

Sever Valued Member

True. He should've lost that fight - most other organisations in the world would've docked him points for that, Cage Rage would've DQ'd him for it. But based purely on record, he's more deserving than either Florian or Sherk, obviously Stevenson more so

19. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Anyone else shocked they are putting an 18 yr old with only 4 fights and something like 6 months pro-experience against Fisher?

Seems like they really hate the Lauzon brothers because they are just trying to get this kid hurt, of course judging by his older brother I won't be surprised if he proves he is not a can, just hope he does not get hurt.

20. littlebiggie

littlebiggie New Member

@Aporheosis: i agree.

Dan Lauzon has only fought 4 times and his height is the only advantage i can think of.