Split Inner Abs

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by adouglasmhor, Jul 11, 2006.

1. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Have been to a physio and discovered my unshifting belly is due to split inner abs, have had for so long I have learned to recruit from everywhere and they are very weak
    so am starting a rehab program
    has anyone any ideas

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I'm not sure I understand what your 'condition' is exactly.

ANd I would think that your physio would give you a rehab program to do at home for this .... er whatever it is :)

3. TheAngle

TheAngle Valued Member

Inner abs? Transverse abdominals?

4. adouglasmhor

The inner abdominal muscles are split in the middle so any ab exercise recruits from the back and the hip flexors making my belly dome out, I have some exercises to do but just wondered if anyone had any more, I have even been told to go back to doing press ups and plank on my knees to stop my back taking over from my abs in stabilising and do leg raises with one foot on the floor.

I have got a Core Stability class to go to starting from next Monday

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

A few questions:

1) What is 'unshifting belly'? You mean some flab around the midsection that you can't seem to get rid of?

2) I am assuming that your physio is speaking about your deep abdominal muscles... specifically your transversus abdominus and maybe your rectus abdominus. These being the layer of abdominal muscle that sit below the muscles that most of us think of as the 'abs'... the visible (or sometimes not so) muscles that are usually made up of the obliques and the rectus abdominus.

3) If your abs were 'split' would that really effect the ability to lose weight in your mid section? The reason I ask is that it seems your implying 'spot reducing' as in... 'I've got a gut I can't get rid of because I can't use my abdominals because they're split' That doesn't right off sound like it makes a whole lot of sense.

4) I am curious how your physio ascertained that you have a 'split' inner abdominal muscle? Did you have an MRI or is it (though I would doubt) actually possible to feel it?

5) Did he give you any indication if it was hereditary? Was is from an injury?

At any rate - it sounds like you are right in line for some serious core conditioning (again it'll depend on what your physio thinks and what you feel like doing as well - this is only a suggestion).

Take a quick look here at this brief article that will break down the fundamental difference between an 'ab workout' and a 'core conditioning routine'.... you'd be surprised how many people have no idea of the difference between the two most often mistake them as being the same thing.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/softball1.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/softball2.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/softball3.htm

etc. etc.

also take a quick glance at this one in particular - done on a Swiss Ball or whatever they call them in your area.... it may look funky at first - but on these... trust me... you'd be surprised just how damn hard and tiring they can be... Scroll down to the transverse abdominals exercise.

http://www.bodiesbybender.com/fitnessball.htm

In many ways the whole 'core conditioning' routine thing has only really recently taken off in the fitness world. The upside to that is it means there are more options out there than ever for training and conditioning your core. As well there is a ton of good information available online. Additionally much of what many types of Yoga focus on is essentially 'core conditioning'... though granted they have varying degrees of mystical mumbo jumbo that may have to be waded through. :D

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  6. adouglasmhor

Slip its a torn rectus abdominus apparently, the core class I am going to go to uses a swiss ball, I have already being doing Body Balance but even some of the exercises in that are too much for my weakened core and I end up recruiting from my back, and hip flexors in particular. It's an injury but its so old I don't even know when it happened. The physio worked out what it was by doing physical tests over a period of weeks, using different physical measurements and comparing with other cases studied over time, and my physio is a She, not that it matters. I am not talking about spot reducing fat, I am basicaly talking about a belly that is saggy and floppy as it has next to no muscular support, I know you cant spot reduce.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  7. Matthew Barnes

Matthew Barnes Valued Member

Doesn't that sound like a hernia? Wouldn't the answer be to sew it back together? have you considered a doctor?

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

If it's from an old injury there really isn't anything to sew back together though... the muscles will have scar tissue and they will have been recruiting (as Adoug said) from other muscle groups to make up for the imbalance.

The scar tissue itself might actually be keeping the muscle fibers from growing and developing in a way they normally would. Though to be honest this is all a guesstimation... the physio or the doctor would be the best one to see about it.

This is exactly why something that is a seemingly small injury when not taken care of can in the long run be a real drag. Oftentimes we get the mindset of 'Ahhh it's not big deal... uncomfortable... but I'll tough it out... I mean I'm not bleeding to death or anything..." and that's where the problem starts.

Anywho - Adoug hope it gets better.