Split : Execution of the Chain Punch

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Sonshu, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

If WCFK is for simplicity as a core part - why do chain punches - 1 hard punch is more simple???

2. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

Chain punches are faster and the first couple can set up for a harder punch (which is the same as a chain punch except you use the hips to give it extra oomph!).

3. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Because there is an acutal time and place for chain punching in close quarter fighting. But I tend to think most people just don't understand the chain punch based on the way I often see it discussed. Chain punches, in my mind, are an exceptional (Being an exception; uncommon.) technique that should be used only when you've managed to stupid trap your oponent.

- Matt

4. bcbernam777

bcbernam777 seeking the way

There is a saying, its not what is faster but what arrives first that counts.

One punch may seem simplistic, but what if it is trapped or parried what then, you counter? what started in simplicity has ended in complexity, however in a situation to avoid such a trap the chain punch may be employed to ensue an automatic counter, therefore the most simplistic and efficient solution to a problem may seem the least simplisitc

5. Jim Sorensen

Jim Sorensen Valued Member

Better yet, why not a million hard punches?

6. Topher

Topher allo!

Because there is always the chance that your could miss with that one punch. If you blitz them with continous punches you can be sure you'll get them. It's also posible to block/dodge a single punch but you cant do much if its raining fists on your face :D

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  7. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

I know I can keep my cool and composure with one big punch coming at me, but lots of little ones tend to make me panic and flinch, but I guess I'm still a noob! :D

8. CFT

CFT Valued Member

Sorry, I've forgotten what was written in the lead up to the chain punching discussion.

The problem with chain punching is the blitz from outside hitting range. This is too much of a signal of intent and allows the "defender" to act accordingly. The "proper" use is to get position (and range) first then controlled bursts of 2-3 punches. It should not be the major component of your game.

9. Sonshu

Saying dont help in a fight much. Its not about who strikes first its about who wins.

Errrr cant see how employing a repetative technique will work. Most of the time people look to be wayving their arms like spagetti (Sp). If the art is for economy of motion and direct effectiveness surely this flies in the face of this.

One good credible shot is economy and effective?

10. Sonshu

Move to grapple range and smother the space - job done!

11. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Not to help foster a side conversation (and perhaps this warent's its own thread) but I wanted to say that CFT has it right. The chain punch is not effective for bridging and gaining entry. It can be very effective at close range when the opponent's hands are temporarily trapped underneath or otherwised bridged over. And at that time, itis a burst and then move on.

- Matt

12. Sonshu

Playing devils advocate - because a hand is trapped preventing it from raising up to hit someone does not mean its useless. If my hands are dropped down then I use them to grab something and hence grapple city..........

I think in a striking game it helps by keeping hands down but when you can grapple it does not mane much difference.

13. CFT

CFT Valued Member

Yes I agree. But even within striking, level changes can catch Wing Chun newbies out.

14. bcbernam777

bcbernam777 seeking the way

Ahhh Sonshu will you never learn, you better tell Bruce he was wrong. Its a saying that outlines a principle, the very basis of effectiveness is to get the job done, you may have a technique that is faster, but in my example, if it is trapped all of a sudden your "simple and fast technique" has lost its effectiveness, therefore there needs to be another answer to the question. Yes in most cases the most simplisitic answer to the question to the answer is a single punch, but this is not always the case, and sometimes a compound attack may provide the solution to your problem.

Again, and I say this in all sincerity, you display your breathtaking ignorance of Wing chun, it amazes me that you speak about a subject which you obviously have little to no knowledge of Sonshu, its would be the same if I went into a u8niversity lecture room and started to chide people over there understanding of physics, I doubt I have even a school level understanding of the subject, so it would be remise of me to comment on the subject, yet you have no problem expounding on the foolishness of Wing Chun. You may have seen crap Wing Chun, but that does not mean that Wing Chun is crap, the chain punch is not a technique, it is a principal, to overwhelm your oponant temporaraly with a barage of attacks, may well create a mental freezing on his behalf, and put an aggressor into a more defensive attitude, meaning you can gain the upper hand, and Sun Tzu said, all warfare is based on deception. There are many applications of the Chain punch, as a counter, as a freezing of your opponant, but its main purpose is the training of the use of the chum kiu energy, and the loosing of the shoulder, stop looking at the finger Sonshu.

15. Topher

Topher allo!

What if you miss - you've already committed to only one punch. I wouldn't want to place so much into one attack.

It's easier to deal with a single punch than continuous rapid punches.

16. Topher

Topher allo!

A correctly applied trap wouldn't allow you to do anything with your hand. The second you trapped the hand/arms you should follow with an attack - chain punches, throat strike or elbows... so even if you did free yourself or were able to use your hands a good trapper would have already hurt you.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  17. Topher

Topher allo!

18. joedoe

joedoe New Member

But what is to say that a solid, devastating hit can only be thrown once? What is to say it cannot be thrown quickly and in multiples?

19. AuHg

AuHg McDojo Happy Meal

bingo alot beginners do chain punching before they even get into range then they say wing chun has weak punches.. go figure.

20. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

Hey Sonshu, good to see you back in the Kung Fu forum. You're like a bull in a china shop....litterally, but it's good to shake things up. As for chain punching, let me ask you this, don't you throw combinations of punches (it's a rhetorical question, I know you do). Why? Because it's a lot harder to deal with a quick flurry of punches than just one. Chain punching could be described as WC's answer to the same concept. The key difference being WC prefers to apply the flurry once they're already inside their opponent's defenses, making it that much more likely of landing several telling blows.

No one in their right mind will tell you it can't be countered, or it just somehow shuts down all attempts to grapple (it doesn't), it's just another tool in the box of a chunner much like a jab jab cross is in the tool box of almost every boxer.

Come on, you spar enough to know if you're hitting someone with big one shot punches they guy you're fighting is out of his league (same reason no one other than Ali used a rear hand lead). You have to set up the big hit when you're dealing with someone who has some measure of boxing skill. Have fun breaking the plates, I'm off to get popcorn. Be well.