Spirituality: The New Religion for the New Age

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by GSHAMBROOKE, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No history prior to 1955...strange that

Meditation is in all sects - TM isn't

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

So you accept we always have new, better theories...

...then go on to state some woo based on 'ancient knowledge'?

Seems like some serious cognitive dissonance going on there. You really should try and get that sorted Lou.

3. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Nuh uh. You don't get it. It's not a day of judgement, it's basically that one day the dance stops. The dance is also a metaphor. Indian culture is full of them.

Judgement is another topic altogether. We judge based on our need to position ourselves relative to other objects in space, so to speak. We judge others based on what it means to us (based on our causes and conditions), and how it reflects our choices. Morality is just goodness reduced to terms. True goodness doesn't have laws, it reflects the understanding that we're all interconnected and interdependent. That's compassion in a nutshell.

Everything we do is to avoid suffering and be happy. If we do something selfish, our world view becomes very small and finite, there is a heavyness, the mind darkens, and the whole situation walls you off from others.

When you are selfless, conciousness is expanding, there is a lightness associated with it, and there is inner confirmation of the purity of the action.

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Woo.

:bang:

5. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Everything keeps going back and forth in circles. I choose the Bhagavad Gita because it's true, it's simple, and it helps me lead a good life.

6. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

It's true?

Let's have your proof of it then.

Evidence maybe?

No?

Oh well.

7. Hannibal

No YOU don't get it Lou - it is just another ancient myth accounting for an inevitable end of things. Nothing more and certainly no supported by anything recent

8. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Bunny: Read it. Reflect on it. Then throw it away if it doesn't resonate.

Hannibal: Dance (Lila Rasa) is a metaphor for a very large concept. But of course, you know that. It's not a myth, it's more of a parable.

Only by letting go can you fathom the mysteries of the universe! otherwise you miss the point: the nature of consciousness is aesthetic appreciation. Homeostasis a beautiful thing indeed!

9. Hannibal

So where does making up stories fit in to your enlightenment?

Lou you read like a pick-and-mix of eastern mindsets, yet display the positive behaviours of none.

10. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Done. Done. I don't throw books away, it's with the rest of my mythology and fable collection.

I'm assuming you mean the Rasa lila?

Anyway, the kalpa is only 4.32 billion years - the universe is currently estimated to be 13.75 billion years (+/- 0.11 billion) old. That kind of does away with your truth part.

No. Only by paying attention and questioning can you understand what's going on in the universe and the world. Sticking your head in the metaphysical (and metaphorical) clouds is the same as sticking it elsewhere - and about as useful.

11. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Hannibal: Sometimes I'm less than perfect. Sorry about that, actually.

The kalpa is used as a way to explain an immense and unmeasurable length of time. Other rishis have different ideas about how long a kalpa is. The devil is in the details.

Bunny: in mediation you shouldn't be fuzzy and cloudy. you should be alert, but not overly alert.

12. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

OK Lou, I'll bite. Letting go of what?

This is why I am so glad I am a Dudeist. It is way simpler and is probably way closer to what Lao Tzu and Buddha were originally talking about.

13. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Sometimes?

Well, it's an immense length of time but certainly not immeasurable.

Heat death theoretically would occur after 10^100 (a googol) years, or thereabouts.

Of course there are plenty of other ideas, but they can all be estimated for times as well. None of them are in the region of a few billion years.

I don't do mediation. I'm not diplomatic enough.

14. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Sanity?

15. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

You must let go of the self and all external and outside issues, and by using your breath as a tool (more so than in zazen) you must penetrate the veils of your mind. This is an essential teaching of the Buddha.

It's something that has to be directly realized. Too much talk about it evaporates understanding, though. I'm spent.

16. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Alternatively get yourself drunk. It has the same effect on your ability to communicate effective, requires much less time investment, and is tastier.

17. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I'm now a Dudeist priest, too. I just got me the ordination certificate.

(I should probably watch the movie, huh?)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  18. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Nah. Just take it as it comes.

19. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

:evil:now you're speaking a language we can all understand. it's hard to understand you english types; it's like you have a mouth full of marbles.

20. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Bullsh!t. I do meditate and occasionally mediate and neither has anything to do with what you are talking about. It is simply about being in the moment, that's all. No veils, no penetration, no...wait, I think I see what you are meditating on. Shame Lou, shame. :evil: